Suggestions for Belgian dipa/quad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I'm going to try to use up a bunch of stuff I've had laying around for a while and I just got my delivery of StarSan. So right now I'm looking at my 6lb wheat LME, 6lb amber LME, and a bunch of off brand hops. 5.5 gallon boil for 30 minutes. I am aiming for a 65 ibu and after bottling half the brew, adding dates. Figs and spices to secondary for a split batch.

I'm fine with the bitterness to fight the residual sugars but I wanted to know what hop profile and spices would be recommended for a beer like this? I will probably avoid most citrus and tropical hops. More pepper and spice. But you guys know more than I do. I'll be using Belgian ale yeast and am not afraid of a weird brew.

Thanks.

Your titles says Belgian dipa/quad. Those are two very different beers. What do you actually want the beer to be?

That asked, your 12 lbs total of wheat LME and amber LME in 5.5 gallons isn't going to get you into quad territory for color or ABV, and 65 IBUs is way too high for the style.

You mentioned being fine with the bitterness to fight the residual sugars. What do you mean by residual sugars? The sugars from the figs will ferment, either before or after you bottle that part of your batch, so let them ferment out before bottling if you want to avoid overcabonation and possibly bottle bombs.

I'm ok with an srm way lighter than a quad. This is more of a Bigfoot style barleywine but going toward quad in flavor.
I added Crystal, Newport, TriplePearl and German Polaris hops. 5oz in all.

I was under the impression that figs and dates don't fully ferment out so I thought there'd be residual sugars, plus it's mu first heavy abv over 8% and I didn't know how sweet it would end up. I'm fine with bo e dry and bitter too.

But I'm looking for a line between very hoppy ale that leans into quad flavors.

I am mostly trying to make something to use up my Costco huge bags of dried fruit. But I know I'm not being true to any style.

I was under the impression that figs and dates don't fully ferment out so I thought there'd be residual sugars,

Well, there are lots of compounds in any fruit, including figs and dates. But the sugars, i.e. the compounds that make them taste sweet, will definitely ferment.

Back