IBU contribution from Whirlpool-The Great Debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
As more and more of us are using FO and WP additions at varying temperatures, how many contributed IBU's is this imparting on our beer? BeerSmith says none, but is this agreed on by all?

For the life of me I read so many opinions on the subject, but there has got to be a better way to judge other than just guessing at the hop bittering potential. There are scientific ways and equipment to test hop IBU's in beers, so my guess is testing has been done to determine the answers to our questions.

I realize the hotter the wort during the addition is, the more bittering potential there can be. A FO addition is certain to create more bittering potential than a WP addition at 160F. I simply wish I could find a value to add into my IBU goal to help give me a better target than just "guessing"

Thanks.

Numerous experiments have been run. As an easy swag, you can figure a whirlpool addition for X minutes is the same as a boil addition for X/2 or half as many minutes. So for example, if you whirlpool for 30 minutes, figure the IBUs are the same as if you had added the hops to the boil for 15 minutes. This of course is only with respect to IBUs, not to actual hop flavor and aroma. This is not exact but as a swag it will in fact get you really really close to reality.

I don't contribute FO or WP hops into my IBU's and this could come down to personal taste. The only IBU's I add are the hops that are actually boiled.

Brewers Friend says 10% utilization, but this is only possible at a given temp. This is what I have been using on hoppy beers

"Take all the hops you plan to add for late addition hops and dry hops and cut them in half. Add half at knockout and the second half as a dry hop addition. Again, don't feel the need to go overboard with these additions."

https://byo.com/mead/item/2808-hop-stands

https://www.homebrewersassociation....-boilwhirlpool-hop-additions-bitterness-beer/

Great article discussing the timing of hop additions and the impact on flavor, aroma and bitterness

Edit: Long story short, I estimate 5% utilization for flameout to about 160. I have done whirlpool hopping starting around 180F and I still get a decent amount of bitterness. Based on this article, I do a flameout addition to get my IBUs and don't add any more hops until 160.

Brewers Friend says 10% utilization, but this is only possible at a given temp. This is what I have been using on hoppy beers

"Take all the hops you plan to add for late addition hops and dry hops and cut them in half. Add half at knockout and the second half as a dry hop addition. Again, don't feel the need to go overboard with these additions."

https://byo.com/mead/item/2808-hop-stands

Note 10% utilization in Brewer's Friend is as compared to 26-28% utilization you get from boiling for full 60-90 minutes.

Personally, I think my question is being asked more and more often as advanced hopping techniques are being used by even novice brewers with the rage over NE IPA's. This really in fact is advanced brewing and takes a pretty firm understanding of the process to get a handle on IMHO.

Your answers including the excellent article by Home Brewers Association has given me a meaningful hop utilization number to work with and plug in to my recipes. I'd rather have a firm number in mind than a half ass guess of what a handful of this or a dash of that will do.

At the end of the day, the proof is in the beer we make and what tastes good to us. I'll keep playing with these additions til I hit the note that works every time. And I appreciate you guys...y'all are great. Thanks!!

I realize the hotter the wort during the addition is, the more bittering potential there can be. A FO addition is certain to create more bittering potential than a WP addition at 160F. I simply wish I could find a value to add into my IBU goal to help give me a better target than just "guessing"

Thanks.

Potential perhaps, but not perception per this small sample.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/01/the-hop-stand-hot-vs-chilled-wort-exbeeriment-results/

I would be interested in actual IBU testing as well, from flame out to dry hop.

That was a very good article. I'm not a bitter hophead, IBU till I explode kind of guy. I think my next whirlpool addition (planned in next batch) will be at 180 while I continue to let it cool.

Same here. I pretty well stayed away from those super high IBU beers due to the harsh bitterness. I just felt it was like soap suds in my mouth. On the flip side of that equation I really like hop goodness, flavors and aromas, so I was in a quandary for years. With the excellent late addition hop techniques I am discovering, I am not JUST a low IBU German Pilsner type of brewer any longer.

Latest posts

Back