I think I grabbed the wrong yeast at the store...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobly

Reaction score
So I was in a bit of a rush when I went to the homebrew store and reached in to the fridge to grab the Wyeast 1056 for an IPA. I didn't bother to look at the actual package because I was in a rush and assumed I grabbed the 1056. The way the store is set up I could have grabbed Wyeast 1028 or Wyeast 1084. I'm asking because the smell coming out of the airlock is different than what I'm used to with 1056, which I use all the time and have never used the other two. Recipe is one gallon IPA with 2lbs of liquid 2-row and a lot of Simcoe and Citra hops. My question is would either of these strains have a negative impact on an IPA? Also, are there certain characteristics I can look for to determine which one I grabbed for future reference?

So I was in a bit of a rush when I went to the homebrew store and reached in to the fridge to grab the Wyeast 1056 for an IPA. I didn't bother to look at the actual package because I was in a rush and assumed I grabbed the 1056. The way the store is set up I could have grabbed Wyeast 1028 or Wyeast 1084. I'm asking because the smell coming out of the airlock is different than what I'm used to with 1056, which I use all the time and have never used the other two. Recipe is one gallon IPA with 2lbs of liquid 2-row and a lot of Simcoe and Citra hops. My question is would either of these strains have a negative impact on an IPA? Also, are there certain characteristics I can look for to determine which one I grabbed for future reference?
Hi. I think the other yeasts (English Ale and Irish Ale) might come out a little esthery if you ferment them warm, and may not finish out as dry as you'd like your IPA, but I suspect it'll still be good...different, but good. It may seem like a silly question, but does your LHBS give you an itemized receipt? Mine uses Square, so I know exactly what I bought. Ed
:mug:

Hi. I think the other yeasts (English Ale and Irish Ale) might come out a little esthery if you ferment them warm, and may not finish out as dry as you'd like your IPA, but I suspect it'll still be good...different, but good. It may seem like a silly question, but does your LHBS give you an itemized receipt? Mine uses Square, so I know exactly what I bought. Ed
:mug:

I threw away the receipt but I'm fairly confident it's not itemized. I think they just look up the prices and add it up like a calculator.

The beer is fermenting pretty aggressively at around 64-65 Fahrenheit.

Thanks for info!

Latest posts

Back