I Pod or MP3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borisbbadd

Reaction score
I have a dumb question,

What is the difference between an I Pod and a MP3 player ?

Also which one would be better to buy ?

Looks kind of like two questions...............................:confused:

Well, IPOD is an MP3 player but also a MP4 (video) player, you can store and view photos, use ir as an external hard drive, and a few other things.

I would go for an IPOD Touch so you can use it as an agenda and download several applications.

I'm pretty happy with my IPOD that i got as a present a couple of years back

Another great option are the ZEN MP3 players from Creative (Creative Labs : Home Page - The leader in Digital Entertainment for your PC and the Internet)

Mawa

It's basically a format and price issue.

IPOD's work only with I tunes. There are alot more options for IPODS, such as downloadable movies, webcasts, TV shows, etc...

MP3 players can use different programs, but are pretty much restricted to music. They tend to be cheaper, but with the recent price drops in IPODS and the extra functionality, IPOD's in my opinion are the better buy.

Just got my first iPod for my birthday and I love the thing. It's attached to me most of the time. For the extra cash, it is certainly worth it.

iPod plays mp3s. it's an mp3 player, made by Apple. The catch is, you have to use Apple's proprietary "iTunes" software with it. Some people don't like it, so they get some other brand of mp3 player. The iPod is also pretty expensive, because you're paying for Apple's name.

All that having been said, I've owned a couple iPods in my time and I love them. iTunes works well, the iPods work well...and the latest one I got, the 160gb "classic", holds all my music and videos comfortably. I don't know of any other player like this that has that much space on it, is that small, and is that easy to use. So, personally, I recommend it. However, I do think they're phasing out the classic, which is a shame. They need to replace it with something else, because solid state memory, which is what the Touch and iPhone run off of, is still far behind HDD in terms of space. I'd love to have a Touch, but I think the biggest ones only hold 16gb. Bah. That's nothing. To me, the most important thing is being able to hold my massive library in one place. But if you only have a few gigs of music, then you can go smaller. I suppose it's all about personal preference...

There's another software I highly recommend for IPODs besides iTunes. It's called Media Monkey and it does a great job helping you organize your music library.

You can transfer your music to IPOD from this software and also DELETE tacks fron the IPOD which you cannot do with iTunes

There's another software I highly recommend for IPODs besides iTunes. It's called Media Monkey and it does a great job helping you organize your music library.

You can transfer your music to IPOD from this software and also DELETE tacks fron the IPOD which you cannot do with iTunes

Yes several other ways to put music on an Ipod these days, which eliminates my only dislike involving Ipods. Itunes sometimes will not let me play some mp3s, even some that I bought from Itunes. But then, I no longer use Itunes, and can put anything on my Ipod.

They are very well built, intuitive to use, and with a bit of care last a long time. My wife still uses her mini, almost every day. It is about 4 maybe 5 years old, with original battery.

Luck.

Not necessarily true about "having to use Itunes" with an Ipod. I own Linux and XP laptops and I can update my Ipod with either.

Agreed - I use Winamp to put files onto my iPod. Works great. The album covers don't work --- but they don't work anyways since I import my audio from CDs, I don't buy it from iTunes Store.

iPods are great - they have very intuitive navigation. The other brands work. Some are great, some are not. iPods are just a tiny bit better, though, IMO..... Mostly because everyone else is scrambling to make their players "just like the iPod".

Agreed - I use Winamp to put files onto my iPod. Works great. The album covers don't work --- but they don't work anyways since I import my audio from CDs, I don't buy it from iTunes Store.

You know you can right click, "Get Album Artwork" and it will do it for you, right. Yes I am one of those obsessive compulsives that has to have every single ID3 field filled in with artwork.

You know you can right click, "Get Album Artwork" and it will do it for you, right. Yes I am one of those obsessive compulsives that has to have every single ID3 field filled in with artwork.

Yeah but I thought Apple crippled that field when pushing music onto the iPod from WinAmp?

Plus - when you say "right click, Get Album Artwork" - you mean in iTunes right? I don't activate my iTunes with an account - mandatory for getting Artwork - and I don't use iTunes to manage the music either. In fact, I keep it in just-installed state, in which I haven't even accepted the EULA.

(Why do I even install it at all? Well, it comes on OS X, and on Windows, it's just too much of a PITA to keep Apple Software Update from installing it for you.)

Depends on if you are looking for functionality or portability. iPod's are pretty nice for a straight music player but the PSP is a WAY better value but is definitely not as easily carried around.

The PSP plays video games, movies, internet browsing, internet radio, skype, and plays MP3's. Not to mention if you hack the firmware you can play just about any other hand helds games as well.

You can get an mp3 player that does everything an iPod does and more for a fraction of the price and much more flexibility.

Zune, my old ipod had awful battery life. Zune lasts much bettah

The most annoying thing about iPod batteries is that they don't expect you to replace them. I'm sorry, but something that expensive shouldn't be disposable when you wear out the battery.

The most annoying thing about iPod batteries is that they don't expect you to replace them. I'm sorry, but something that expensive shouldn't be disposable when you wear out the battery.

On the bright side, a lot of 3rd party companies have stepped up to provide mail-in battery replacement services, usually for $75 or less.

I feel like a technological idiot..............I think I have turned into my dad !!!

i've got two creative zens. One is a 30 gig full size and one is a 2 gig mini.

they do indeed play music, and movies (the mini is too small to actually watch, though.)

They have FM radio, and a microphone for recording they also record from the radio as well.

AND they're about $100 less than their respective ipods.

B

i've got two creative zens. One is a 30 gig full size and one is a 2 gig mini.

they do indeed play music, and movies (the mini is too small to actually watch, though.)

They have FM radio, and a microphone for recording they also record from the radio as well.

AND they're about $100 less than their respective ipods.

B

How is the lifespan on those? I see quite a few around.

I got the Creative Zen Touch when it first came out like 4 1/2 years ago. Liked it a lot, but crushed it when I yardsaled skiing. I replaced it with an Video Ipod which is also really good. Better than the Zen, but they were different generations, so you really can't compare. The only thing I didn't like about Zen was their software. Hated it. I am sure it has changed since, though

I bought a 30 gb second generation IPod 4 years ago i think, and in the meanwhile it stopped working 3 times. The good think is that Apple has a very good customer service, so they replaced my Ipod all three times. It's nice having a brand new Ipod every time.

i'd never buy an ipod. I can a fully functional MP3 player for a few dollars, and a PSP for about $150. Games on the PSP, plus download and play movies etc. Actually, the only reason to buy a separate MP3 player is gor the portability. Apple can keep their crappy software and DRM.

They should just do drag and drop from Explorer. I don't need their bloatware to search my drives for my music. I know where I put it, thank you very much.

Back