I need to name my son.. any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first son is called Angus. It's actually been scientifically proven to be the best name in the world (don't ask me to cite references, they're out there everywhere, you just need to know where to look ;-). People always say how much they love that name. You can abbreviate to Gus if you so desire.

I'm about to have my second within the next 2 weeks. My wife and I are swaying towards Douglas for this one. I'm Scottish, so that might be why I favor Scottish names.

It never ceases to amaze me what topics will gain traction on these forums. :drunk:
If it were me, and my wife was just shooting down suggestion after suggestion, I'd be tempted to pick ten names I really liked, then have her generate a list of her 10 favorites, then circle the duplicates and toss a coin for those.

It never ceases to amaze me what topics will gain traction on these forums. :drunk:
If it were me, and my wife was just shooting down suggestion after suggestion, I'd be tempted to pick ten names I really liked, then have her generate a list of her 10 favorites, then circle the duplicates and toss a coin for those.

We seem to like naming things. For example look at any of these I accidentally did _____ to my beer threads and usually within 8-9 posts of dont worry you will see one "you should call it ____" comments

We seem to like naming things. For example look at any of these I accidentally did _____ to my beer threads and usually within 8-9 posts of dont worry you will see one "you should call it ____" comments

You should call it "Blank Space IPA," brewed with Galaxy Hops and hip.

You could always name him after Billy Klub! :)

On a serious note: Zebulon, Spencer, and Jedidiah have always been my favorites.

well, this made my day. Male is the coolest last name I've ever heard BTW. Why not call him Richard? Then he's either Rich Male or Dick Male. It's a win-win

Initials ECM...sounds like a spaceship part. Maybe that'll have some bearing on his life! Earth control to Major Tom...

Sorry, just a car part. Computer for cars. Not all call it ecm.

I have to go with Huge Ard Male because there I'd just no way to make that last name acceptable to the d!k$ of the world.

H. Male
H. Ard Male
Huge Male
H.M.
HAM
Just falls apart. :D

I was always told that before you decide on a final name for any child, you should stand on the porch and yell it 30 times. If you still like the name that's the one, because your gonna be yelling it 30 times a day every day for the next 18 years.:pipe:

Forget all the latest trendy names and keep it simple. Something like Matt, Jon, Mark, Mike or Tommy. Use either your first name or middle name or your father's or your grandfather's (don't take any further than that) for the middle name. Or ..... just go with your gut!!!!!

I came darn close to having one of those names. In the 70s, my Dad called the Norwegian Embassy and they sent him a book of names - that's why I'm Jon without an "h." I could have easily been a Bjorn or an Ole or a Kolbjorn or some such.

Spiderman Atticus Male

Hear me out,
In elementary school, everybody wants to be friends with Spiderman, or Batman, or whatever superhero you want to name him after. I worked with a guy in college named Thor, really, true story. I also have a friend who named her son Odin, but I digress.

Up into Jr. High/High School, he's got something cool to put on the back of his jersey. "And taking the field, #37, SPIDERMAN MALE!"

Then, with a respectable middle name, he can use that in his respectable adult years and then it's just a conversation starter at the bar. "No, really, my real name is Batman. See, it's on my driver's licence."

Though I guess his ID would likely be pegged as a fake in his younger adult years. It certainly would be if you named him McLovin, so good thing that's not on the table.
And he would have trouble getting any sort of government job. My dad always told me he had a lot of trouble getting his job working for a government contractor because he doesn't have a middle name.

So maybe it's not as good an idea as I thought. Maybe just Atticus as a first name is fine.

I had a teacher with the last name Child, he had a son named Ammon, and he said he tried to get his wife to agree to the middle name Warrior, but no dice.
Ammon, Warrior Child would have been pretty awesome in my opinon. But to another poster's point, probably not in his decades of being an adult.
I can see something with the last name Male being a longer lasting epic name than Child, though.

Spiderman Atticus Male

Hear me out,
In elementary school, everybody wants to be friends with Spiderman, or Batman, or whatever superhero you want to name him after. I worked with a guy in college named Thor, really, true story.

Up into Jr. High/High School, he's got something cool to put on the back of his jersey. "And taking the field, #37, SPIDERMAN MALE!"

Then, with a respectable middle name, he can use that in his respectable adult years and then it's just a conversation starter at the bar. "No, really, my real name is Batman. See, it's on my driver's licence."

Though I guess his ID would likely be pegged as a fake in his younger adult years. It certainly would be if you named him McLovin, so good thing that's not on the table.
And he would have trouble getting any sort of government job. My dad always told me he had a lot of trouble getting his job working for a government contractor because he doesn't have a middle name.

So maybe it's not as good an idea as I thought. Maybe just Atticus as a first name is fine.

I had a teacher with the last name Child, he had a son named Ammon, and he said he tried to get his wife to agree to the middle name Warrior, but no dice.
Ammon, Warrior Child would have been pretty awesome in my opinon. But to another poster's point, probably not in his decades of being an adult.
I can see something with the last name Male being a longer lasting epic name than Child, though.

Atticus was a name I pushed for that my wife vetoed.

Any Friends fans? You could name him like Paul Rudd's character... Crap Bag.

Or, (the male version) Prince Consuelo Banana Hammock.

Boom. Done. :mug:

I second the name Simcoe...love it.

I have two daughters....Sierra & Stella. Just waiting on my third so I can have a Pauli as well.

Back