I need a kick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
Ello folks!

Right now I make a decent, simple IPA with a fresh ginger twist but Im looking to give it a bit more of a kick. Anyone with experience using fresh chillies? or jalapeño? maybe an idea of boil time? and % quantity?

Thanks for the advice!

David

Fresh chilies vary so much! You know how sometimes you get a popper and can't even taste the pepper, but sometimes it burns the house down? The safest way to go is make a vodka tincture. Create a sample glass with the level of chili you want, then scale it up to your batch when you bottle/keg.

If you have chili vodka left over, use it in your cooking.

I've had really tasty IPA's with habanero peppers for some heat. I was told to use 1/2 oz in a 5 gallon batch...

Edit:these were added to the boil at flameout IIRC..

If you go with jalapeños I would suggest using the tip of one about the size of your pinky nail. Throw it in like a dry hop addition and see how you like it. You can try making a tincture with chopped peppers in vodka or you can just try some absolut peppar vodka.

When I have cooked with dried chilies I usually rehydrate them in hot water and then blend them in to the water. I have been wanting to try adding some blended chili water to the mash of a quad. I think it would be good.

BTW, my college offered a beer tasting course and served a lager that had a whole jalapeno in each bottle. That was awful....

I made an amber ale once and added 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes to the boil with 5 minutes left. It had a bit of a burn to it. Very tasty. 5 gallon batch or was it 3?? I forget, sorry.

Flying dog has a jalapeño white ale that is delicious but it doesn’t have much heat. I think with jalapeños if you can get that flavor you don’t really need the heat but different people might like it hotter. Where your jalapeños come from will determine how much heat you get out of them too.

I've found the easiest way to add heat to beer is to make a "Pepper Tea". Slice the peppers, boil them in a 1/2 gallon of water and strain.

Pour a pint of the beer and add tea using a measured eye dropper (for quick math), mix and sample. If it tastes good then ramp up the volume for the remaining batch.

Latest posts

Back