Adding yeast after fermentation is done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmCider

Reaction score
So I’m new to cider brewing, basically brewing entirely. I’ve made one pomegranate mead/jet fuel and then tried a pineapple cider that turned out amazingly. Got hooked on cider making immediately and now I’m just focusing and playing with that.

I currently have 3 batches going right now, a peach cider, a standard apple, and then I am recreating the pineapple cider the exact same way except I wanted to try a different yeast to lower the ABV a little and kinda just to experiment a little. This one has D47. Anyways, I noticed activity stopped about a day after I had a pretty good size overflow/foam-over around day 4, I got worried that the overflow caused a lot of the yeast to come out. I tossed a little bit of yeast back into it. Then the wise idea to check gravity kicked in and it’s bone dry (I’m talking 0.096). Now the **** part is my first successful batch I did with only and ending gravity reading so it’s hard to compare the two. My question is, did I screw it all up with the extra yeast and is backsweeting/carbing going to a pain, or can I move forward as before? Once it’s dry I like to backsweeten with erythritol and then prime with juice concentrate. Any advice for the newbie is greatly appreciated! Thank you much!

Also, piggy back question about abv if it’s alright. My starting gravity was 1.042, and my ending gravity now is 0.096. All my calculations/calculators are giving me an insane abv, is %28.5 realistic or is it more likely I read my starting wrong? Base contents were 96 oz apple juice, 32 oz pineapple juice. I have yet to backsweeten but from what I’ve read before backsweetening doesn’t really affect the abv, unless that thought process is incorrect as well.

Your FG is most definitely not 0.096

Double check you are reading your hydrometer correctly. ~.996 would be more believable. ~6%
Hahahaha. Crap. I told myself when learning up on brewing to not make the “reading the hydrometer wrong” mistake lol. You are indeed correct. Thanks again sir.

Latest posts

Back