I kinda screwed up, what would you do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well today I mistakenly pitched my Belgian Ale yeast into my Oktoberfest wort. That was right after realizing I pitched my Oktoberfest Lager yeast into my Belgian Wit

I only have 2 fermentation fridges sooo.

Here are my options
1. Let everything ride and brew another Oktoberfest in 2 weeks after the Ale is done fermenting
2. Pitch more Lager yeast in the Oktoberfest and trust at 52 degrees, the Ale yeast just go to sleep and I don't end up with something funky after 5-6 months

What would you do?

Rick

I'd let the two fermentations ride as is. If adding the lager yeast to the batch with the unwanted Belgian yeast doesn't work as you hoped, then you've probably lost more time than if you rebrew as soon as the ale is done.

Brew on :mug:

Let it ride.. could be a fun experiment and you might learn something really cool. Might turn out to be awesome beers. Let us know how they turn out.

You’re gonna have beers.
I’d go with it at this point.

If you’re set on correcting your mispitches, you can always set your ferm chamber to 30*F and start over.

Actually, boiling would be better than freezing.
But I’m in the less work camp.

Now spend a couple of weeks figuring out what to call them.
Maybe call the Oktoberfest a Biere de Garde?
Maybe add some amber invert to the wit and call it an American Amber Lager?
Dry hop it even.

Explain again exactly how you screwed up? I think you just made two pretty cool beers!

Seriously, though, I know we think of Oktoberfests as being German-style lagers, but brewers in other regions did similar things within their own brewing traditions. So you may find yourself with a biere de garde or farmhouse style, or simply a Belgian style ale. And the wit recipe with a lager yeast could be interesting. You don't say what strain you use, but what if you fermented a little warmer, like a steam beer?

Definietly let them ride - obviously watch that your fermentation matches the yeast, not the intended wort...
I think those will both be really interesting beers.
If you want the traditional Octoberfest, do it after these batches are done.

<Grabs popcorn> Just here to see what happens :D
Hey gang,

We put a dent in the Al-E-Oops (Oktoberfest recipe w/ Belgian Wit WLP400 yeast) this weekend and surprisingly, it was very good. Aroma was a bit bready/yeasty as expected from the yeast, flavor was malty with a hint of honey left on the palate. Super easy drinking. I'm definitely not upset at how it turned out

The Belgian WIT recipe with WLP833 won't be ready until October so stay tuned as I'll report back then

Rick

Hey gang,

We put a dent in the Al-E-Oops (Oktoberfest recipe w/ Belgian Wit WLP400 yeast) this weekend and surprisingly, it was very good. Aroma was a bit bready/yeasty as expected from the yeast, flavor was malty with a hint of honey left on the palate. Super easy drinking. I'm definitely not upset at how it turned out

The Belgian WIT recipe with WLP833 won't be ready until October so stay tuned as I'll report back then

Rick
How can you possibly wait until October to see how that batch comes out???

OK, the Al-E-Opps is gone. As I said earlier, it was a very good beer after all. Several of my friends said it tasted like a Fat Tire. I've only had 1 or 2 so I can't say for sure

Regarding the Belgian Wit on Oktober lager yearst, naw, not waiting til October, will tap into it on Fantasy Football draft day Aug 26th, stand by

Rick

I'm glad the first beer worked well, interested in the second. I like trying different yeasts on my worts, sometimes splitting a wort between Belgian and US styles.

OK jumped the gun

Neighbor is having a 4th of July party, calls me up and says, I just ran out of beer, do you have anything. Well I have a Belgian WIT recipe on Lager yeast, been sitting for 3 months. I quick carb'd it up and brought him a glass. Super fantastic actually

Lot's of Orange/Citrus, some honey on the back end (not sure where that is coming from) Very smooth and easy drinking. Just add an orange slice and go to town

Here is the recipe for your viewing pleasure

Rick

Attachments

• The Belgian.pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 43
Back