I Have The Yeast, All I Need Is a Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So, after the debacle with that 3-day-lag-time-Dubbel, I've got this mason jar full of awesome yeast from a local brewpub. It's a wacko mix of English Ale, German Hefe and Bavarian Lager strains :p

Far be it from me to let a mason jar full of perfectly good yeast go to waste...so I made a starter this morning and mixed the yeast in. I'm planning on brewing something tonight or tomorrow morning, a partial-mash something-or-other. All I need now are some suggestions for what to make with this crazy yeast mix. My ingredient inventory is pretty diverse right now, so let me know what you think I should do...thanks!

I was looking around on the Recipator, and I saw something that caught my eye: Winter Ales/Warmers. Ginger root seems to be a good adjunct to use, as does honey. So, I'm putting together a Honey Ginger Winter Warmer in ProMash right now, gonna see how it feels. I figure, with a high-grav spiced beer like this, a crazy yeast mixture would be fun, because I'm not so married to the strict style guidelines. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to add, in addition to ginger & honey, lemme know. Thanks!

Evan! said:
I was looking around on the Recipator, and I saw something that caught my eye: Winter Ales/Warmers. Ginger root seems to be a good adjunct to use, as does honey. So, I'm putting together a Honey Ginger Winter Warmer in ProMash right now, gonna see how it feels. I figure, with a high-grav spiced beer like this, a crazy yeast mixture would be fun, because I'm not so married to the strict style guidelines. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to add, in addition to ginger & honey, lemme know. Thanks!

What do you think about clove or allspice? Coriander and orange peel might be good too. Just depends on how spicy you want it. Crazy thought, but has anyone around here tried making a pepper beer? Not a chili beer, but black pepper...

MattD said:
What do you think about clove or allspice? Coriander and orange peel might be good too. Just depends on how spicy you want it. Crazy thought, but has anyone around here tried making a pepper beer? Not a chili beer, but black pepper...

Funny you should mention...I did indeed add cloves and allspice to the recipe. I even thought about black pepper, just because Allspice, Cloves and Black Pepper were the main ingredients in some AWESOME molassas spice cookies I made this week, and I was thinking about a beer that would emulate them. This one won't, but it'll still be good. I've never added black pepper, but I'm curious too...

Back