I HATE cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonting

Reaction score
I am quite new to homebrewing i had been brewing from kits for about 6-8 months (5 gallon batchs) and have recently been doing a few smaller extract brews (2.5-3 gallon batchs). However i hate cleaning and sanatising bottles i am going to get some small keg's. My question is this what small kegs are the best im considering either the easy kegs or the mini kegs as i can keep one in the fridge without my girlfriend complaining to much.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

If you just rinse your bottles as you empty and drink them, you don't really have to clean them at all. Sanitizing is as simple as a blast from a vinator as you're filling them.

I quite enjoy bottling.

If you just rinse your bottles as you empty and drink them, you don't really have to clean them at all. Sanitizing is as simple as a blast from a vinator as you're filling them.

I quite enjoy bottling.

+1 to Maple Leaf guy. Not hard to rinse the bottles out 3 or 4 times and tip them so they dry. The vinator is worth its weight in gold for sanitizing.

I bottle about half of my brews. All of my larger brews and beers to be aged go in bottles.

Corney Kegs are cheap (ish), while mini cornies are somewhat more expensive. I've tried Mini 5L kegs and they worked ok, but it would be best to find the CO2 kit to keep them from oxidizing from letting air in.

Recently I saw a guy posting about using plastic garden sprayers as kegs. The idea is to buy them BEFORE you put insecticides in them, wash and sanitize, and fill with beer. Add CO2 just like a regular corny, but these are far cheaper, smaller (for those who want for space) and are easily modified. I think the sprayers are normally HDPE plastic, so equivalent to fermenting buckets.

If the problem is fridge space, get a new fridge and go with 5 gallon kegs. I initially thought about the mini kegs too, but its just easier to put a whole batch in 1 or 2 five gallon corny kegs.

I have 5 fridges / freezers and I didn't pay for any of them. Well kinda paid for the kitchen one when we bought the house. Point is, it's pretty easy to get free fridges from friends or family.

Back