I hate bottling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckertonrr

Reaction score
This is partly a rant/ partly a question.

I've found I *reeeeeaaaaaly* hate bottling. Takes such a long time, is very boring, and it's just to me the absolute worst part of brewing. In fact, I finally bottled my Christmas beer I brewed back in August (yes, in late February). Just couldn't get the motivation to do it. Besides getting a kegging system together, any advice on making the bottling process better/more streamlined/less boring?

Since the beer was in secondary since mid - September, I assumed there would be very little (if any) viable yeast available for carbonation. So I got a packet of dry bread yeast, put that in in addition to the sugar water mixture I make up for a 5 gallon batch & mixed it up and bottled it.

I also didn't sanitize the bottles - though I did sanitize the bottle caps. I did wash the bottles twice though.

I did this over the weekend, and just wondering if anyone has tried something similar? I don't want exploding bottles, or infections!

THanks in advance!

There are yeasts that are more appropriate for bottling.
I always sanitize. Get a vinator; it makes bottle sanitizing simpler.
Mix up your bottle sizes. I fill 22 oz, 500 ml, and 12 oz cap bottles. I also have 1L flip tops.

Use larger bottles; it goes faster that way, and you don't need so many caps. I have a bench capper (it's almost as old as I am) and it works best if all the bottles are the same size -- so I recently got rid of all my Sierra Nevada and Summit shortneck bottles. I use either all longnecks or stubbies or 22's. I also have a couple of 1L swingtops, those are nice, and some 1L plastic pop bottles.

I just bought a fancy new bottling wand from the LHBS a couple of weeks ago, and it fills so much faster than my old spring-loaded one.

Champagne yeast would have been a better choice for bottling if you thought the original yeast was all dead or dropped-out. But bread yeast shouldn't hurt anything unless it's contaminated.

I started saving for kegging equipment after my second brew session. Bottling and bottle conditioning is for masochists.

Champagne yeast would have been a better choice for bottling if you thought the original yeast was all dead or dropped-out. But bread yeast shouldn't hurt anything unless it's contaminated.

I didn't have a chance to get to the homebrew shop, and wanted to get this bottling project over and done with; Fleischman's bread yeast was all my local market had; so I figured yeast is yeast, all it's for is carbonation in the bottle.

I finally replaced my Red Baron wing capper for a Grifo bench capper. Now I don't wince every time I cap a bottle. Had 4 bottle necks break with the wing capper so I was gun shy. Now bottling is a piece of cake....actually look forward to it. Still have the wing capper for a back up....but doubt I'll ever need it. $45 for the Grifo....money well spent.

I used swing tops....no capping needed. Now I keg...no bottling needed. Life is good.

Vinator for cleaning. Starsan. Bottling tree. Put your caps in the vinator reservoir to sanitize. Double barrel bottling. Use larger (german) bottles. I think this picture shows all of that:

IMG_05406.JPG

This is partly a rant/ partly a question.

I've found I *reeeeeaaaaaly* hate bottling. Takes such a long time, is very boring, and it's just to me the absolute worst part of brewing. In fact, I finally bottled my Christmas beer I brewed back in August (yes, in late February). Just couldn't get the motivation to do it. Besides getting a kegging system together, any advice on making the bottling process better/more streamlined/less boring?

Since the beer was in secondary since mid - September, I assumed there would be very little (if any) viable yeast available for carbonation. So I got a packet of dry bread yeast, put that in in addition to the sugar water mixture I make up for a 5 gallon batch & mixed it up and bottled it.

I also didn't sanitize the bottles - though I did sanitize the bottle caps. I did wash the bottles twice though.

I did this over the weekend, and just wondering if anyone has tried something similar? I don't want exploding bottles, or infections!

THanks in advance!

You HAVE to sanitize all your bottles. Also, install a second spigot on your bottling bucket. Attach bottle filler wands to each spigot with a 1" piece of racking tubing. Sanitize all bottles first, then fill bottles, 2 at a time, taking a break after about 12 to cap them all. 2 spigots cuts your bottling time in half.

I actually bottle most of my beer now even though I have a keg system. Having both options is best.

Something you might consider, that will take a lot of the time out of getting beer from a fermenter and cabonated in a serving vessel, is this and this.

Some soda bottles, a couple caps that can take a gas in QD and a mini CO2 regulator and bottle that you can switch back and fourth, and you're set.

Fun for experimental batches for anyone really, or left over wort boiled later, soda and juice concoctions, etc.

carbonator-525.jpg

*note that is some other dude's setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to also hate bottling when I started brewing. Now I don't mind it, the cleanup is what I hate. I have my system down and can sanitize the bottles, fill them, and be cleaned up in about 2 hours. I have a keg setup that I bought off CL a few months ago, but cant get motivated to use it.

Bottling isn't so bad. A solid process is key:

- It starts with music and beer!
- After you drink a beer, rinse, swirl, shake, and repeat to get the bottle nice and clean. There is no reason to wash the bottles twice if you do this. There should be nothing in there.
- Get the biggest cooler you can find for sanitizing. I fit 18 bottles at a time
- Bottling tree
- Bench capper
- 1/2" bottle filler helps
- Lots of table space - I like to fill 6-12 bottles and then cap them all at once. - One hand is for filling. The other hand is for beer! :mug:

And that's why they make kegs.

http://www.homebrewing.org/AIH-New-5-Gallon-Corny-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_5100.html

$75 for a brand new (not refurbished) 5 gallon ball-lock corny keg.

Well, it will take a lot more than a keg to get into kegging. Kegging was one of the first "upgrades" I made when I started brewing. In hindsight, it should have been the last. I should have started by investing in the things that actually make better beer; yeast starters, aeration, temp control, water chemistry...

Bottling is a minor inconvenience but it gets better the more you do it and refine your process. Plus, it's a lot easier to keep a nice variety of homebrew ready that way. If you only keg, your variety is limited to the amount of taps you have. If you do some bottling though, you can have styles that do well with age and sample them over time.

I mainly keg now, but when i do bottle (tomorrow for example) I set up so that I am sitting in front of the bottling bucket and after a bottle fills, I am able to take the want out and cap the bottle while the next bottle fills. No hassle, no sweat. If I need a stop, I let the wand sit half way out of the bottle that is being filled. The prep takes the longest, bottling is quick and easy.

If you hate bottling that much, you must not be doing it right. There are many threads on bottling techniques. I prefer to fill 12 bombers at a time (one after the other) in a case with the top cut off, then cap. I bottle 7.25 gal batches, and it is fast and easy. I don't enjoy the cleanup afterward, but bottling should be mindless zen once you get your system down. In fact, I find it very satisfying work. With the right mindset and a technique that works for you, you will be bottling batches the same year that you brew them.

I started saving for kegging equipment after my second brew session. Bottling and bottle conditioning is for masochists.

Hi, I'm a masochist. Seriously, I actually enjoy the bottling process, even after 5 years.
I load my bottles into the dishwasher in the morning, set it on 'sanitize, heated dry, 4 hour delay'. I also prep the priming solution in the morning. When I come home from work, everything is ready. I pull a chair up to the dishwasher, drop the door, and sit there filling bottles. Cap and box up after each dozen. The longest part is labeling and marking the bottles.
Why do I bottle? I currently have 18 different varieties of beer to sample, depending on my mood. Anyone out there have 18 taps at home?:mug:

If you hate bottling that much, you must not be doing it right. There are many threads on bottling techniques. I prefer to fill 12 bombers at a time (one after the other) in a case with the top cut off, then cap. I bottle 7.25 gal batches, and it is fast and easy. I don't enjoy the cleanup afterward, but bottling should be mindless zen once you get your system down. In fact, I find it very satisfying work. With the right mindset and a technique that works for you, you will be bottling batches the same year that you brew them.

Actually, at first I didn't mind it; but the last few batches it really dragged on me. With my work keeping me more busy at the moment, plus other things, the bottling got relegated to "next weekend". Then the next, then the next. The brewing itself I still enjoy. I think a better/more efficient setup is in order. My kitchen is pretty small, and end up having to juggle multiple things on the limited counter space I have.

Well, it will take a lot more than a keg to get into kegging. Kegging was one of the first "upgrades" I made when I started brewing. In hindsight, it should have been the last. I should have started by investing in the things that actually make better beer; yeast starters, aeration, temp control, water chemistry...

Bottling is a minor inconvenience but it gets better the more you do it and refine your process. Plus, it's a lot easier to keep a nice variety of homebrew ready that way. If you only keg, your variety is limited to the amount of taps you have. If you do some bottling though, you can have styles that do well with age and sample them over time.

Sure, a tank, a regulator, some connectors and some tubing, but I so much prefer pouring a fresh draft beer to opening a bottle. Plus, any beer that isn't 7+ abv is past id "best by" date at 6 months anyway. For 90% of beers, fresh, and draft is better than bottle (and aged).

But to each his own. If you like your system, roll with it, man.
For somebody like the OP though, who hates bottling, kegging is a no-brainer.

I would say that I don't hate bottling, but after a bottling marathon of me and a buddie of 180 gallons of hard cider I would say we were using the wrong method of manual bottling. I will say this use a bench top capper it is the best investment for manual capping, of course I am using a vintage one from the 40s it is far better than those red barron things. I keg 99 percent of my beers, when I do bottle I mix the the priming sugar in the keg (makes it easy for mixing) and use co2 to force into bottles.

but the worst part of bottling is bottle storage. finding place for 100 plus cases of 12 oz
and 22s. I don't need a garage I need a facility.

It takes about $300 to get into kegging. A little more depending on how many kegs you want to own. This is fudging a number for the cost of a CL fridge/freezer.

Fridge/Freezer = $50
Tank = $80
Regulator = $60
Keg = $60
QD's = $20
Shank = $12
Faucet = $35

I didn't include hoses and a few other fittings and misc.

It's a nice upgrade for many people and I like serving off a tap better than bottles because I can pour a half a glass if I want and not worry about the remainder going flat or stale. A bit less convenient for transporting your beer, but you can also bottle from it pretty easily if you need to.

I always thought I would continue bottling when I started kegging. But now I don't think it will ever happen. Kegging is too easy. I'd rather just buy extra kegs and maybe bottle off the keg.

If I do bottle, I have some magnum bottles that contained Anchor Christmas. You can fill two cases and only have to deal with 12 bottles.

I always thought I would continue bottling when I started kegging. But now I don't think it will ever happen. Kegging is too easy. I'd rather just buy extra kegs and maybe bottle off the keg.

If I do bottle, I have some magnum bottles that contained Anchor Christmas. You can fill two cases and only have to deal with 12 bottles.

^^ I could have written the same thing. Exactly.

Sure, a tank, a regulator, some connectors and some tubing, but I so much prefer pouring a fresh draft beer to opening a bottle. Plus, any beer that isn't 7+ abv is past id "best by" date at 6 months anyway. For 90% of beers, fresh, and draft is better than bottle (and aged).

But to each his own. If you like your system, roll with it, man.
For somebody like the OP though, who hates bottling, kegging is a no-brainer.

There are beers besides high ABV that keep well. Brett, for example, scavenges oxygen and extends the shelf life, actually gets better with age often times. Try telling the locals near the Orval Monestary that they have it wrong aging their 6.2% beer for at least a year before consumption.

I got into kegging because I "hated bottling". What I have learned since then is that I just didn't have a good system down so now I do both. I have 2 kegerators, 6 taps; 2 of them dedicated for mixed cultures. But, now that I have my process down, I still bottle because it doesn't suck, it's actually somewhat enjoyable. With a solid process, I can do 15 gallons in about 4 hours. I can keep a great variety and I get to sample styles that age well as they age.

There is a good chance that OP just hasn't refined his process yet. I think he came here to see if there are folks who enjoy/don't mind bottling and what their process is like.

I still bottle but it's pretty rare. Last time was this Sunday when I bottled 10 gallons of KBS clone. Really, there was no way I was going to keep gallons of KBS on tap in my kegerator. It's just too strong and my kegerator is too small.

I believe that beer was brewed in October 2015 and put in the barrel this time last year. Was supposed to be bottled around October, but we didn't have a replacement beer ready so it sat a bit longer. It's still pretty boozy! I think it will drink better in another 6-12 months, but I'll be sure to check it once in a while between then and now.

Hi, I'm a masochist. Seriously, I actually enjoy the bottling process, even after 5 years.
I load my bottles into the dishwasher in the morning, set it on 'sanitize, heated dry, 4 hour delay'. I also prep the priming solution in the morning. When I come home from work, everything is ready. I pull a chair up to the dishwasher, drop the door, and sit there filling bottles. Cap and box up after each dozen. The longest part is labeling and marking the bottles.
Why do I bottle? I currently have 18 different varieties of beer to sample, depending on my mood. Anyone out there have 18 taps at home?:mug:

You should invest in, and this goes for the OP too, a SS brewtech brite tank, seriously. carb in a day or two and bottle it all w/o the wait or trub in the bottle. No keezer necessary. smaller footprint system.

I brew 3 gallon batches. I'll commonly bottle the last 5-6 beers out of a keg and keep them in the fridge. This keeps variety on hand. My keezer is 4 tap. It's nice to be able to dig out a fruit beer or an irish stout, depending on the company's tastes. win-win.

Well, the bread yeast seems to have worked. Tried out a bottle today ( 6 days after bottling) and it's carbing up pretty good. No mold or any other nasties indications. Maybe another week and the carbing will be perfect.

Actually, at first I didn't mind it; but the last few batches it really dragged on me. With my work keeping me more busy at the moment, plus other things, the bottling got relegated to "next weekend". Then the next, then the next. The brewing itself I still enjoy. I think a better/more efficient setup is in order. My kitchen is pretty small, and end up having to juggle multiple things on the limited counter space I have.

Bottling is something beer-y I can do when I don't have a large enough block of time for brewing. So I kinda like it, but I'm only doing 3 to 5 gallons, and some of that is in big bottles.

Back