I am kinda new to homebrewing... is this a good hop combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghast

Reaction score
Idk if this recipe would work for an IPA...

mash:
8.3 lbs Pale ale
1 lb CaraMunich 2
1 lb Carapils

Hops:
1 oz columbus (60 mins)
1 oz Mosaic (20 mins)
1 oz mosaic (10 mins)
2 oz citra (flame out, for 10 mins)

Dry hopping:
1 oz mosaic and 1 oz citra (7 days before bottling day)

It's a good combo and the times look like they'd work. If it were me, I'd probably toy with the idea of mixing the citra and mosaic for your flame out. Instead of all citra, do half citra half mosaic. I feel like it adds a bit more complexity to it. Either way, I think it'll be good.

+1 to the above, but I'd lower your Columbus 60 minute to 1/2 ounce. Columbus is a good strong bittering hop but I've found it tends to overpower the Mosaic used in later additions & dry hopping. I'd also bump up your dry hop to 2 ounces each of the Mosaic & Citra, my two cents.

That's enough hops to make your eye twitch.

eye_twitch.gif

Just a suggestion, if you consider yourself "new" then consider doing single hop varietal brews for a while. Do so and you'll eventually be able to picture how particular hops would combine. Skip that part and make beers with multiple types all the time and you'll have a hard time picking out the flavors contributed by one type over the other.

Personally, that is way too much crystal malt and not enough hops. I would dry hop with closer to 5-6 ounces and move some of the bittering to flameout.

Id also keep total crystal under 10%

+1 to the above, but I'd lower your Columbus 60 minute to 1/2 ounce. Columbus is a good strong bittering hop but I've found it tends to overpower the Mosaic used in later additions & dry hopping. I'd also bump up your dry hop to 2 ounces each of the Mosaic & Citra, my two cents.
thanks man... i'll do that

It's a good combo and the times look like they'd work. If it were me, I'd probably toy with the idea of mixing the citra and mosaic for your flame out. Instead of all citra, do half citra half mosaic. I feel like it adds a bit more complexity to it. Either way, I think it'll be good.
got it, thanks

Just a suggestion, if you consider yourself "new" then consider doing single hop varietal brews for a while. Do so and you'll eventually be able to picture how particular hops would combine. Skip that part and make beers with multiple types all the time and you'll have a hard time picking out the flavors contributed by one type over the other.
i know... i have done 2 single hop pale ales... but i wanted to do something more complex, thanks for the reply though

Latest posts

Back