I added 2000% the amount of cacao powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skarz

Reaction score
Yeah so brewing a Irish Death clone and I misread .4oz as .4lb and added .4lbs of non-fat cacao powder during the boil. Currently, there is literally zero chocolate smell coming off the boil but it's definitely got a chocolate brown color to it. What are my options at this point? Here's the recipe I followed:

nTKwCGS.png

I've used more cocoa powder than 0.4 lbs in 5 gallon batches of "pastry" beers. It's probably not going to be close to the beer you were trying to clone, but I suspect it will be fine. Actually, I wouldn't expect 0.4 ounces to add much flavor at all.

I've used more cocoa powder than 0.4 lbs in 5 gallon batches of "pastry" beers. It's probably not going to be close to the beer you were trying to clone, but I suspect it will be fine. Actually, I wouldn't expect 0.4 ounces to add much flavor at all.

1a8qy1.jpg

That is the best news I've read all day. I thought this beer was trashed. At the end of the day I don't care how close it is to the original / clone, I just want something tasty and drinkable hehe.

fwiw, I use 8 ounces of low fat Hershey's dark cocoa at end of boil per 5 gallons of stout. I also use 8 ounces of rum marinaded cocoa nibs per 5 gallons in the fermentor...

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Question though - do you think I'll need to add more lactose to the keg to balance out the flavor? I only added .4oz which is what the recipe suggested...

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Question though - do you think I'll need to add more lactose to the keg to balance out the flavor? I only added .4oz which is what the recipe suggested...

0.4 oz of lactose also sounds like a typo.

8 ounces of rum marinaded cocoa nibs per 5 gallons in the fermentor...

Cheers!
Oooh - that sounds good. Rum can mimick vanilla flavor. Many baking recipes say use rum if you don’t have vanilla extract. And vanilla is a flavor included in chocolate.

I have a chocolate beer planned for this week, waiting right now for yeast to grow up.

I have cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, chocolate syrup, chocolate extract, and chocolate liqueur. I may use a combo or all of these. Haven’t decided just yet

Back