Specialty Wood-Aged Beer Overboard - Golden Stout w/ Rum, Cacao Nibs, Coffee and Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029 Kolsch
Yeast Starter
Yeast cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 67°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 67°F
Tasting Notes
Coffee, rum, and chocolate
This recipe started out as an attempt to clear out some of the grains I had on hand to make room for new bags of grain. In fact, the first incarnation was brewed entirely from leftover ingredients, but as things in the brewing world tend to go, I got a bit carried away hence the name "Overboard."

The beer is loosely inspired by Carton Brewing's "Regular Coffee" , though is by no means a clone of any kind. The commercial version is a 12% ABV Imperial Cream Ale with coffee, which not only served as the basis for the recipe, but is also probably responsible for some of the more 'creative' additions.

Grains:

17.5lb German Pilsner
1.00lb Vienna Malt

Hops (Amount, Type, AA%, Boil Time):

.5oz Magnum 15.2% (60min.)

Irish Moss (15min.)

Yeast:

WLP029 Kolsch (Yeast cake)

Additional things:

4oz Raw Cacao Nibs (added in secondary)
1.5oz Oak Chips (added in secondary)
6oz White or Silver rum (added in secondary)
5oz coffee (added at bottling/kegging)

Mash your grains at 149°F for 60 minutes, sparge at 170°F until you collect 7 gallons of wort. Boil for 90 minutes total (30 minutes before adding any hops.) The long boil is essential for caramelizing those sugars and driving off DMS.
I then chilled to 68°F and racked onto a yeast cake of WLP029 Kolsch from a previous batch. Carton uses kolsch for their 'Boat' beer so it only seemed appropriate, but in the interest of using that leftover yeast before it expires; any clean, attenuative yeast will do. Chico (WLP001 Cali), Nottingham, US-05, Dry English, even Irish Ale would be interesting. However, if using fresh yeast I recommend making a 2 liter starter or bigger.

The Magnum was probably a year old, still in its nitrogen-flushed package. Again, any clean bittering hop will do, we're looking for 20 IBUs.

Let that sit in primary for 3 weeks, keeping the temperature in the upper 60s. When you're about 2 weeks in, start soaking your cacao nibs and oak in a bit of rum. I used 4oz of cacao nibs and about 1.5oz of medium toast American oak with just enough rum to cover everything, 6oz should do the trick. Let those rock for a week in a sanitized Mason jar until you're ready to rack to secondary. Open mason jar, stick face in and take deep breath. (just kidding, waft) You should at this point be fully erect. Dump the contents of your jar into the secondary vessel. The rum, the nibs, the chips; everybody goes in. Rack your beer on top, fit with an airlock and let that sit for an additional 3 weeks.

For the sake of playing off the name 'regular coffee' I used Cafe Bustelo coffee, which is my everyday cup of joe. It's also like $3 a pound. Your favorite roast will do, just put 5oz of it in a nylon mesh bag and let it steep in roughly 20oz of cold water for 24 hours prior to kegging/bottling. Add this cold steeped coffee directly to your keg or bottling bucket. Keg and carb, or prime and bottle as normal. It's best after 3 months or so, but by all means drink as you please. If you decide to brew it, please report back. Any variations are welcome and I look forward to hearing your results. Some pictures will follow

Last edited:
I am giving this one a try tomorrow, different grain bill,
hop, yeast and with golden rum ; )

Question: Why do you 'cold brew' the coffee?
I'm thinking of upping the amount of wood chips, it seem so little, what do you think?

Best regards

Troels

I am giving this one a try tomorrow, different grain bill,
hop, yeast and with golden rum ; )

Question: Why do you 'cold brew' the coffee?
I'm thinking of upping the amount of wood chips, it seem so little, what do you think?

Best regards

Troels

Hot coffee has more of the bitter ingredients. cold-brewed more coffee flavor and less astringency. At least thats the theory

Thanks for touching base Troels. The golden rum should add a nice touch, I may try that next time I brew. I'm having a glass right now so here's a quick pic
Hope it turns out well!

IMG_0446.jpg

It looks very nice!
My brew day went very well. I started a small yeast starter last night and it started bubbling 30 mins after addition.

I will post a picture and share my result when time is : )

Thanks for the recipe!

I've had good success with uncracked espresso beans added to the primary fermentor for about 7 days. I did a coffee IPA using just columbus. The whole coffee beans don't add any color. I also did an Imperial Stout with coffee, maple syrup, and smoked malt that I then aged in a 5 gallon barrel that had previously had homemade bourbon in it. :) Delicious!

Cheers!

I've had good success with uncracked espresso beans added to the primary fermentor for about 7 days. I did a coffee IPA using just columbus. The whole coffee beans don't add any color. I also did an Imperial Stout with coffee, maple syrup, and smoked malt that I then aged in a 5 gallon barrel that had previously had homemade bourbon in it. :) Delicious!

Cheers!

I promised to get back on my version. Well, I didn't have luck with my brew. It is my first brew aged on wood. There were so many new interesting ingredients and I might have been carried away as I really love them all, which is why I added a little extra of everything :S My beer was not undrinkable, but it was far from what I've hoped for, and very unbalanced. My advice for other newbies brewing with exciting ingredients - stick to the recipe the first time ; ) Then you can tweak it to your liking with the next batch ; P

However, I also have a homemade still, don't tell anyone, and destilled the brew. My small batch yielded close to a liter alcohol of 55% abv. (had trubles with some small leaks, my system is all electric so no worries, but it hurts the abv yield but increase the taste to be closer to that of the beer). The destilate is now aging in two jars, one with charred cherry wood and one on toasted american oak wood chips - they seem promising. Sorry for th off topic.

Back