Hybrid gas/electric rims build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byrone

Reaction score
This is my first thread so I wanted to make it a good one and would like to get some feedback from the brewing community. I started to build this last weekend and it's almost done. This is a hybrid controller for auto igniting gas burners(boil and HLT) and an 4500W 220V electric rims tube(going to test with 120V first) for the mash. The build started out as an all electric build but then I decided to switch to a NG/electric system instead(mainly due to the power required to run). The layout is a semi Kal layout but I wanted to switch it up a bit. The components were bought from the HBT classifieds, ebrewsupply.com, auberins.com and ebay. Once this is complete I will be starting the brew stand. I will update with more pictures as the builds progress.

Cheers

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

its been a while since I've updated so i just wanted to show an updated picture with my new blichmann 15g kettle and my brewers hardware 15g mash tun. The control panel has worked flawlessly for approx 4 brews. Using the rims has given me so much more control of my mash temps. Will continue to update as more progress happens.

IMG_0749.jpg

I think when I build a new rig I want to take this approach as well. With my all electric rig I struggle with power requirements, and am so reliant on location of it. Looks great so far! I have looked at both the rims and kettles from Brewers Hardware and really liked them. They work well?

Thank you very much. It is taking a long time to get this far but it's slowing getting closer to completion. They both work amazingly well. Both are very heavy duty and well made. The only downfall is that the kettle took about a month for delivery(they were on back order). If you decide to go with their RIMS I suggest getting the 2" model and the reason is that there is less chance of scorching because of the amount of liquid in the tube as well the 4500W ULWD element fits much better than in the 1.5" tube. The element cover was bought from brewhardware.com and it very nice as well.

Back