How to use star san properly ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeperman

Reaction score
Let it dry before using equipment ?
How long does it take to dry after rinsing bottles and other equipment ?
Have some beer to bottle within a couple days.
Read the warning label and seems like this product is not something you want to ingest, get on you skin etc.
How safe is this product to use ?

Dilute 1oz per 5 gal as recommended. either soak or rinse things i want to sanitize in it. i don't worry about drying or following up with preboiled water. its a no rinse sanitizer and doesn't effect he beer other than keeping it safe from contamination. do not fear the foam.

Diluted properly, it's quite safe to get on your skin and even drink if you're into that kind of thing, but it's not very tasty. In its concentrated form, you should avoid spilling it on stuff, since it has a habit of discoloring counters and what-not.

No, don't let it dry.

It supposedly takes about 90 seconds to do its thing, but to be honest with you, I occasionally wait only 45-60 seconds before I let the sanitized object touch wort or beer and I haven't had an infection yet (knock on wood).

It's a very safe product to use. Doesn't discolor clothes or surfaces in diluted form, won't stink up the joint. When I first started using Star San and dunked my hands in the diluted solution, it used to dry out my hands something fierce, but now my hands don't react that way.

Starsan is pretty mild. Be careful with the concentrate, but diluted no problem. I've heard stories of Charlie Tallie (owner of 5 star),drinking the concentrate but I would not suggest it.

+ 1 on the discoloring counter tops.........I have a light spot on some dark counter tops where I sat the bottle by the sink when mixing.

Making the light spot dark again is next weekends project, so I'm told........

Latest posts

Back