How to reduce yeast taste/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattle_snake

Reaction score
1st post so here it goes..

Been brewing off and on for 20 yrs, started kegging about 3 yrs ago. My beer is 'OK', my main complaint is the yeasty taste/aroma, it is present in all my batches and I think is the first issue I need to solve to get to a better product.

What can be done to reduce the yeast overtones?

Sometimes I use a secondary, can't say it makes any difference. I typically brew extract kits from the local brew shop using the 'standard' techniques. I've used both dry yeast and liquid, results seem to be the same. I brew year-
round regardless of ferment temps (68-78) and results seem the same as well.

I hope this is enough info for some guidance. thanks

How long are you letting your beers ferment for? Try doing 3 weeks, if you are only doing around a week.

I usually ferment for ~14 day. Bigger beers longer, 3, 4+ weeks. Most of the action is done in 3-4 days.

Haven't tried cold crashing, I'll have to go do some research. thanks

Try fermenting cooler? I ferment most of my ales at 60-64ish. I get a lot of ester-flavors at the temps you are talking about.

Also when you are monitoring your fermentation temps are you just reading ambient air temp or actual temp inside the fermenter? Temp in the fermenter can be significantly higher than the air temp.

Back