How to Prepare Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
So I have been using dry yeast for my first three batches. I prepared the yeast for this last batch and it seemed to go okay. I just want to know the best way to prepare dry yeast? What temperature and how much water should I use. Then when I add they yeast do I need to refrigerate or keep it warm? Do I need to cover it with foil? Also how long should I do this in advance?

Secondly, what is the best type of yeast to use? Should I use dry yeast or liquid yeast? What is the disadvantage and advantage to both of these types? If I use liquid yeast, do I need to prepare that yeast too? Or is it just ready to go straight into the carboy when I am ready to pitch?

I apologize this page is full of questions, but I do not have any knowledge on this topic. Thank you for the advice. This forum is great! I have never had so much great advice and help.

http://www.mrmalty.com/

Read away!

Many opinions on this subject. For dry, basically you want to boil water for 10-15 minutes gently (4oz.), then let the water cool to 80 degrees or so. Dump the pack on top, but just let it sit there (don't stir). Stir it in after 15 minutes. Keep at room temp the whole time. Stir again before pitching it in your fermenter. when your wort cools to 75-80.

Liquid -

Generally used for flavor profiles you are looking for and also considered by many to be "better" (opinion). Prepare a started (look it up in the WIKI) and dump when your wort reached temps close to 75 for an ale)

You really need to do some research here...there's a HUGE amount of info already written on this subject.

Back