How to add lemon/orange zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LimerickBrewCo

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a Wheat beer and the recipe calls for adding the zest of 2 lemons and 2 oranges. I'm familiar with how to zest citrus fruits but am wondering should I dump the zests straight into the boil or should I put it in a small hop bag to keep the bits out of the wort? I know with a wheat clarity isn't an issue but I would prefer not to have big bits of zest in my beer when I drink it.

Thanks for the help, this forum has given me so much knowledge.

I usually just dump it into the boil. If you are worried about it, you can just pour through a sanitized strainer into your fermenter. I've never had a problem with it.

I haven't had a problem with zest gumming up the works or staying in suspension.

Zesting is a lot of work; to get the most out of it, I would add the zest at flameout to keep the aroma and flavor intact.

I added a half ounce of orange zest to last batch of pale ale. Jury is still out on if it was worth it cuz I have not sampled beer yet. Point is I did get a piece of zest in the siphon when transferring to bottling bucket. It was right at the end and in the process of getting it out I mixed up the sludge with a couple of bottles of beer. Not the end of the world but next time I would be more careful with zest in the fermenter.

I've zested in the secondary and dumped it in. It sinks and never makes it to the bottle. I agree with all of the above.

Just so you guys know, you can buy zest at the grocery in the spice aisle. mcCormicks Sweet valencia orange peel works like a charm.

My fourth batch is in primary right now. It's an American Pale Ale kit.

In a week or two, I'm thinking about taking a gallon out of the primary and putting it in secondary with some orange zest.

Do I need to boil the zest first? sanitize the orange with star-san?

Does anyone have some experience with this? Thanks for the help.

Just so you guys know, you can buy zest at the grocery in the spice aisle. mcCormicks Sweet valencia orange peel works like a charm.

I used it in my Blue Moon clone, luckily it was on sale when i bought it for $5 for a 1.5 oz bottle. normally $8
Pricey but adds a nice flavor.

My fourth batch is in primary right now. It's an American Pale Ale kit.

In a week or two, I'm thinking about taking a gallon out of the primary and putting it in secondary with some orange zest.

Do I need to boil the zest first? sanitize the orange with star-san?

Does anyone have some experience with this? Thanks for the help.
I would probably soak it in a SMALL amount of vodka for a few days then strain the liquid into the secondary

Back