How much whole hops to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I just brewed an ESB last night/this morning and am thinking about dry hopping it after about 3 weeks on the yeast. If I do this, I'll be adding whole hops right into the carboy (6 gallon PET/Better Bottle) for about at week. I plan to use Fuggles hops for this, which I have in the freezer right now.

The question I have is, how much should I use to get a more subtle amount of hop aroma/flavor (if you get any flavor at all with dry hopping) in this brew. I've not dry hopped before, hence my question. I used a full ounce of Fuggles for the last 20 minutes of the boil, so I believe I'll have a decent amount of flavor there. I'm just looking to get a decent amount of aroma, of Fuggles, in the brew too.

I'm thinking of using 1/2oz of whole hops for this brew. Is that too little to get a decent amount of aroma? I don't want a slam of hops, but I do want another layer of hop in the brew. How much will the dry hop addition fade over time? Basically, how long from when I bottle before that 1/2oz has faded to nothing? I do want to be able to enjoy this brew once it's carbonated. I will say that I'm NOT a 'hop head', which is why I usually hop on a more moderate/modest side. Just looking for more depth with this brew...

1/2 ounce would probably be right for an ESB. They don't have huge hops aroma typically. You could add 1/2 ounce for 5 days, and then sample the beer. If you need a bit more, add another 1/2 ounce for 5 more days and then bottle on day 10.

Thanks Yooper... If this was at my place, checking after 5 days would be a snap... But, this batch is fermenting at another person's home (we brewed at his place last night)... So, I'm not sure if I'll be able to check on it after 5 days. I will see if he would be ok with that though. It might be easier to just put the 1/2oz in for this batch, see how it comes out and develops over time, and adjust for the next time I brew it...

This is the second time I've done the brew. First time I used a mix of MO and UK 2 Row... This time I used UK 2 Row, Crystal MO, and (a bit more) Victory malt. I figure the increased Victory, and Crystal MO will offset the absence of the MO base malt (was just over half the base malt the first time)...

For reference, last night's brew was:
12# UK 2 Row
1# Crystal Maris Otter (55L)
6oz Victory Malt
.875oz Target hops (10.50% AA) 60 minutes
.125oz EKG hops (5.00% AA) 60 minutes [wasn't about to open another 4oz package of Target for 1/8oz, EKG was already open]
1oz Fuggles hops (4.00% AA) 20 minutes
Whirlfloc tablet at ~15 minutes
1/2tsp Wyeast nutrient at 10 minutes

Yeast: Wyeast Scottish Ale (#1728) harvested, washed, and with a starter (first capture).

Mashed in at ~151F, mashed out at ~149-150F, 90 minute mash time.
Sparged at 170F for 10 minutes
1 hour boil time total.

How do you think the 1/2oz of Fuggles contribution will last in the bottles for this brew?

This was the first brew to go through my 70qt MLT cooler... Loving that already. :rockin:

I think 1/2 ounce of fuggles would be fine! They are sort of, earthy, I guess and I'm not a fan anyway so maybe I'm biased (I think they taste like dirt)- but ESBs don't have much hops aroma as a rule and I think 1/2 ounce is a good amount.

I also have EKG, Target and Northdown on hand... If any of those would be a better compliment for the brew, I'm open to that too...

I love EKG- but you may love fuggles. I'm probably in the minority- one of those "super tasters" who takes "earthy" as dirt tasting. If you like the smell of the fuggles, use them!

I have Fuggles and EKG whole (2oz each)... Probably wouldn't be a good idea to mix them... Or would it?

I brewed this batch with Target for bittering and Fuggles for flavor last time. Came out great, hence it's being repeated.

I'm not opposed to tweaking the dry hop amount and type, if non-hop heads agree that it will be a good contribution.

I would like some more opinions on this... Luckily I have about 3 weeks before I need to make the addition... :ban:

Looking at the descriptions of both, my only 'concern' is how spicy the EKG flavor will be... If it will be toned down enough with only 1/2oz, then I might just go for that... Obviously, you've got more brews behind you than I do... :D

I just listened to the can you brew it episode for London meantime ipa they use a 50/50 blend of ekg and fuggles for dry hopping. The brewer said he likes the earthy notes from fuggles and the " citrus, not American hop citrus" from the ekg.

phished880, I actually like the sound of mixing Fuggles and EKG for the dry hopping... Now I just need to decide if I should go with 1/4oz or 1/2oz of each... :D

Since I am making a British brew, I'd rather stay within the guidelines of the style. I do wish I knew if the Fuggles I have were UK or US... :cross:

. I just racked a brown ale off of some fuggles, I started out wanting 1/2 oz but ended up just using all the fuggles I had. It was 1.5 oz, and I just happen to be sampling it now. Not too aggressive, but earthy, I really like it. I hope the guests at my daughters first birthday enjoy it as well.

phished880, so it's not carbonated or anything yet, right? Or did you dry hop and then keg it and rapid force carb?

I have a total of 2oz each of Fuggles and EKG to work with... I was hoping to be able to use it for a couple of brews... How long did you dry hop for?

Starting to look all over the place for hop amounts and which to use... Maybe mixed, maybe just EKG, maybe just Fuggles....

I dry hopped straight in keg for 7 days. It was my first keg hopping experience, needless to say use a bag! I would say an ounce would probably be a good starting point.

I'll be dry hopping into the carboy (primary)... Then bottling it up from there.

So, 1oz total dry hops... I suppose that if it's a bit more than I was looking for, I can let it age a bit... Considering how fast the first batch got sucked down, it probably won't last long once it's ready. Unless I can manage to brew enough to alternate with other things... Although, nothing wrong with brewing another batch once I've had the first bottle of this one. :rockin: Just might be difficult to keep any of this batch around until the next is ready for drinking...

I understand your issue all to well. That's why my last 4 batches have been 10g but only a 6.5 gal boil. I can experiment with yeast or dry hops, anything and the beer moochers don't drink all my product.
Cheers

I think a .5oz Northdown, .5oz EKG would work really well dry hopped. 2 awesome hops.

I'm with Yooper, as much as I like Bitters I do not like Fuggles - dirt mixed with some weird wood sums up its taste to me.

I was looking to use the whole hops I have on hand for dry hopping, not mix in some of my pellet hops...

Does anyone happen to know of a site that has a complete listing of hop flavors and characteristics listed? Actually getting clear information on each hop is proving to not be an easy task. Some hops you get a decent amount of info. Other just say it's 'acceptable' or 'distinctive'... WTF does that mean?? I want to know what this is going to contribute to the brew if I use it for flavor/aroma... I'm not about to use a type of hop for dry hopping, or flavor/aroma hop addition, without knowing what it's going to bring for flavor/aroma to the brew.

I'm still leaning towards a .5oz or Fuggles and .5oz of EKG at this time... I've liked every brew I've made with either of those for flavor/aroma additions...

Back