How much sugar to batch prime Mr. Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
Mr. Beer instructions say to put 3/4 tsp of sugar in each bottle before filling. If I batch prime instead of bottle prime, do I put the equivalent amount of sugar in the batch? I believe it works out to be 1/3 cup (2 gal beer = 21 twelve oz bottles x 3/4 tsp = 16 tsp = 1/3 cup)

Is the only purpose for a bottling bucket to move the beer away from the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter so that you can batch prime with sugar before bottling? Am I oversimplifying, or could you ferment for three weeks in the bucket that has the spigot, prime each bottle (vs. batch prime), and fill the bottles directly from the fermenting bucket? With all I'm reading about the dangers of introducing oxygen into the beer when bottling, I'm having trouble seeing the advantage of batch priming vs. bottle priming, as is done with Mr. Beer kit. I'm a newbie at brewing, so if I'm missing something, please let me know.

fozzie14 said:
Mr. Beer instructions say to put 3/4 tsp of sugar in each bottle before filling. If I batch prime instead of bottle prime, do I put the equivalent amount of sugar in the batch? I believe it works out to be 1/3 cup (2 gal beer = 21 twelve oz bottles x 3/4 tsp = 16 tsp = 1/3 cup)

I think the math is correct.

However, it depends on a couple variables, but I think you are slightly overdoing it.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

My Mr. Beer Porter has been fermenting for two weeks, and when I took a sample, the color and flavor reminded me more of Newcastle Brown Ale than a Porter. Not bad, just a little weak. Will the flavor get richer as it conditions? I was thinking of batch priming with maple syrup or brown sugar. With that add some flavor that I wouldn't get if I just used cane sugar or corn sugar?

Back