How much sugar for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlloret

Reaction score
I have a brown ale in a primary for a 2 weeks. Nowadays is FG 1016. (IG 1054)
I have read that for priming put inside each bottle 1 tea spoon of sugar (dextrose or brown sugar). I think that the objective is to increase the G in two points (about 4-6 gr. sugar per liter). Do i need to put sugar before bottling or not? How many sugar?

do not bottle prime.
no matter how good you are you will never get concistancy, even with tablets.

It's really better to measure by weight not by volume, and to bulk prime, taking your amount of priming sugar, boiling it in 2 cups of water and add it to a bottling bucket that you then siphon your beer into to mix it.

Read my bottling tips sticky for a more thorough explanation.

mlloret; Es posible utilizar el azucar al carbonato sus botellas....gentes aqui no gustan pero no es verdad que es inconsistente. Utilizo el azucar por mis botellas y no tengo problemas con la aplicacion. Por la brown ale, utiliza cucharadita de 3/4 por botella 500ml. Si tiene una otra contendor, utiliza el metodo de bulk prime. Relajado y hace que es mejor para usted....

Salud!

mlloret; Es posible utilizar el azucar al carbonato sus botellas....gentes aqui no gustan pero no es verdad que es inconsistente. Utilizo el azucar por mis botellas y no tengo problemas con la aplicacion. Por la brown ale, utiliza cucharadita de 3/4 por botella 500ml. Si tiene una otra contendor, utiliza el metodo de bulk prime. Relajado y hace que es mejor para usted....

Salud!

I agree, that should be fine. I do prefer bulk priming for myself, but I don't see a problem with adding the sugar to the bottle if you want to try that.

Do they have Munton's or Cooper's carb tabs (or carbonation drops) in Spain?

I wouldn't use the brown sugar, but instead use the dextrose. I think that jmprdood's saying 3/4 teaspoon is about right, but might be a tad low.

I agree, that should be fine. I do prefer bulk priming for myself, but I don't see a problem with adding the sugar to the bottle if you want to try that.

Do they have Munton's or Cooper's carb tabs (or carbonation drops) in Spain?

I wouldn't use the brown sugar, but instead use the dextrose. I think that jmprdood's saying 3/4 teaspoon is about right, but might be a tad low.

Now you're just showing off :fro:

My question is to prime or not do to a FG too high.
If I prime sugar the FG in bottle would be almost 1018. Do bottles crash it?

Priming does raise the FG a little, but if you keep it to a reasonable amount (4-5 oz for 5 gallons or less than a tsp per bottle, it won't make a big difference)

Back