How Much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Ive got 3.5 gallons of An american brown thats ready to bottle.....I'd like to use brown sugar......I was thinking 1/2 cup Packed would be enough.....any thoughts? Will that be enough....To Much?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/faq/bottling_and_kegging_faq.asp

How do I prime 5 gallons of beer with corn sugar or dried malt extract?
For bottling-priming 5 gallons of fully fermented beer using dextrose (corn sugar), add three quarters (¾) of a cup to achieve an appropriate carbonation level. You may wish to add slightly less or more depending on the style of beer or your own individual preference.

For kegging (mini or Cornelius)-priming 5 gallons of fully fermented beer using dextrose (corn sugar), add one third (1/3) of a cup to achieve an appropriate carbonation level. You may wish to add slightly less or more depending on the style of beer or your own individual preference.

For bottling-priming 5 gallons of fully fermented beer using dried malt extract, add one and one quarter (1¼) cups to achieve an appropriate carbonation level. You may wish to add slightly less or more depending on the style of beer or your own individual preference.

For kegging (mini or Cornelius)- priming 5 gallons of fully fermented beer using dried malt extract, add one half (½) of a cup to achieve an appropriate carbonation level. You may wish to add slightly less or more depending on the style of beer or your own individual preference.
Malt extract will take slightly longer to condition the brew than dextrose will. Be patient and all will turn out well.
How do I prime my beer using other sugars?
Using honey-1 cup for bottling and <&#189; cup for kegging.

Using maple syrup-1&#188; cup for bottling and 5/8 cup for kegging.

Using molasses-1 cup for bottling and <&#189; cup for kegging.

Using brown sugar-2/3 cup for bottling and <1/3 cup for kegging.

Using cane sugar-2/3 cup for bottling and <1/3 cup for kegging.

Back