How much priming sugar is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioBeing

Reaction score
I bottled a 10 gallon batch of SWMBO Slayer last night. I had fermented in 2 buckets, so bottled one batch, started a mild, and then bottled the second batch... Except I just realized I used 10 gallon's worth of sugar for each 5 gallon bucket! 7.6 oz of corn sugar per gal is about 3.7 vols CO2.

Is it worth me venting these and recapping? Or should I just keep my fingers crossed when I open a very well chilled one in a couple of weeks?

Thanks for the replies! No bombs so far, so maybe I'm OK...

What is the most sugar anyone has ever primed with and not had bombs?

What is the most sugar anyone has ever primed with and not had bombs?

Dunno what the PSI was, but I bottled some root beer in plastic and glass*. After a few weeks at room temps** there was so much pressure that the plastic bottles' bottoms were bowed out and would not stand. And the caps (fer pete's sake) were bowed upwards. And still the bottles did not come apart. Of course they were the much-beloved .5L weizen bottles so lesser bottles might have come apart.

I handled the bottles with gloves/glasses and refrigerated a couple of days before opening. Vicious burps ensued from the massive carbonation.

* do not try this at home
** seriously, do not try this at home

I have thought of bottling sugar watter in basic looking bottles to find out. One fermented to 6 volumes, one to 8 another to 10 and then putting each in it's own wood crate. Bomb making just ain't my thing.

Back