How much priming sugar is to much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayroc

Reaction score
Can a 1L flip top handle twice the priming sugar then you would normally put in?

depends on the flippie. From exploding experience: Grolsch ½L no, Altenmunster ½L no, Altenmunster 1L no, Kulmbuster(?) ½L yes. Gosh I do love the control of kegging!!

Well I was going to put 2 tsp in each, but after I realized that I had not been using the 1/2 tsp but a whole tsp so I ended up putting 4 in :eek:

Hmm I am getting the feeling that this could be bad. Would popping and sealing it after prevent a blow out?? I don't want to pasteurize if I can help it.

Hmm I am getting the feeling that this could be bad. Would popping and sealing it after prevent a blow out?? I don't want to pasteurize if I can help it.

Probably. You can open them, and then seal again. When did you bottle? If it's been 4-7 days, that would probably be a good time to do it.

I'm really anal about numbers and stuff (which is weird because I suck at math) and wanting things to turn out how I expect so I would personally keep venting the pressure and let the beer go flat, and then try it again.

3/4 cup in 5 gal = 36 Teaspoons in 40 pints
That's about 1 teaspoon per 16 oz bottle
or 3/4 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle.

even 2 teaspoons per bottle may yeild exploding bottles.
at 4 t / bottle, I'd dump them back into the carboy to resettle.
even if you store them in bucketts, when you open them,,, they'll guizer.

Well this is day 4, I did want it really bubbly but well it turned out so good I would hate to lose it all. Just to clarify this is my mead I am talking about. Here is a question though, if I pasteurize it does it the aging effect stop, as in will the flavor stop improving?

Well this is day 4, I did want it really bubbly but well it turned out so good I would hate to lose it all. Just to clarify this is my mead I am talking about. Here is a question though, if I pasteurize it does it the aging effect stop, as in will the flavor stop improving?

I'm not a fan of heating any of my wines/meads/ciders/beers. I believe it does change the flavor, in a negative way.

Mead, well that changes everything...... i know nuttin bout mead.

None the less there is valuable lesson here. Drinking and brewing go hand in hand, however so do drunkenness and mistakes

The first rule of home brewing is you must be drinking home brew while making home brew.

Ok I popped them all, and the. Figured I would try one of the bottles I had put a sterilized cinnamon stick in. And then instant regret for popping the lids. No carbonation. There was a little pressure but no bubbles when I pour it. So I think I will leave them now. Hopefully I have not killed them :eek:

hmmm.... Possibly the alcohol content was at the point where the yeast was dead...?

Well like I said there was a little but not much pressure in the bottles. My calculation has it at 10.6%

Back