How Much Krausen In Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHopfather

Reaction score
I just made my second starter ever. I've got a 2L flask and a stir plate, I'm using the 10g of DME per 100mL of water rule. I'm wondering how much karusen I should expect to see in my starter? While I've had a small (1/2"-ish) layer of foam I haven't had a huge karusen by any means. Is this normal? Should I be getting a little more activity in the starter than this?

I do end up with a layer of yeast on the bottom of the flask, I'm just not sure I'm getting as much as I could be.

Search is a wonderful thing.

I think I've found the answer to my own question. Sometimes you get a krausen, sometimes you don't. The layer of yeast on the bottom is the important thing.

Yeah, typically when I have mine on the stir plate (maybe because it's constantly moving?) I don't get much of a krausen. Just bubbles around the edge of the top of the liquid that dissipate pretty quickly. Clearly it's giving off CO2 and fermenting, but no real krausen.

It varies wildly between different yeasts.

If it's one that normally bursts out of your FV you can expect quite a bit of action but some strains don't produce that much

Wyeast 1056, WLP001 tends to make a lot in my experience. I use a 5000 ml flask when I use that yeast. I've had it blow out of my 2000 ml flask too many times.

I've noticed that if the stirring action of the starter is high, it will have less krausen but if I have overfilled the flask (greater than 75 percent) I get a lot of krausen. My thinking is the stirring action is not enough to remove the CO2 and indicating not much air is coming in.

Latest posts

Back