How much does Temperature affect carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
So I am about to brew my first batch on Sunday...
Nervous as all SHYTE!
and I want to get this right!

I live in North Carolina. This joker is hot as hell during the summer so I have a refrigerater set up for top fermenting at 60-65 degrees. However, I know that once you carbonate your beer you don't want to chill the beer, you want the yeast to eat the priming sugars... but at what temperature does this work?

I know the heat will affect my carbonation... but by how much? I have read that you want to carbonate for about 2 weeks, but I don't think that is in North Carolina! I don't want to disease my first batch of beer but I also don't know what to look for while carbonating seeing as I've never done this before.

I'm brewing a Cologne Kolsh using Wyeast with Activator and brewing into 12oz bottles. I thank you all ahead of time for your help!

Revvy???????

The temp needs to be an the optimal range for the yeast to do their thing. Too cool and they fall asleep. Too hot and they die but I don't think it's THAT hot in NC.

I bet Revvy can explain this in greater detail.

Relax, brewing is supposed to be low key and fun.

Priming happens at the same temperature that the yeast ferments or a little lower. Lower will take longer. A given amount of sugars (residual and priming) will only sustain yeast farts for so long.

You won't ruin your beer. After complete fermentation, put the bottles back into your fermentation fridge for a week or two or longer if you can wait. For a lower gravity beer one week seems fine for me. Others will say to wait and wait....

3 weeks at around 70 degrees is the normal recommendation.

+1 tonkota. Try to relax too. Waiting is the hardest (and best) part. And believe me, even if it doesn't taste great, you will never forget your first batch. . . .

Back