How much do you stir your wort to cool it? picture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
In stirring your wort, do you need to worry about oxidation when stirring it, or is that only after and when its cool and fermenting/done fermenting?

Mine got pretty foamy during cooling

I soaked my spoon in starsan before using, btw

31168_674490862869_12815781_37820310_7735225_n.jpg

I have seen pictures of people using a drill and paint stir attachment to spin their wort around the IC during cooling. I don't think there is risk of oxydation until after fermentation is complete. Think of the boil, and then think of shaking your fermenter/oxygen stone when pitching yeast.

People usually suggest to keep aggressive stirring/oxygenation to a minimum while the wort is hot (although that fact is often debated) and then try to introduce a lot of oxygen into the wort once you get down to pitching temp. YMMV.

I use a wort chiller so I don't do a whole lot of stirring. Just a gentle swirl every minute or two to help speed up the cooling. Once it's down to about 60 degrees I go nuts and finish off by pouring through a strainer with large holes as it goes into the fermenter to introduce a good bit of oxygen.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/oxygenate-before-wort-pitch-temp-164737/

Couple reasons why are there, and I feel you have the ability for hot side aeration, if you do it immediately after the flame out, but I could be wrong. Why not just wait till its at pitching temp?
Here is a sweet article about HSA
http://www.brew-dudes.com/hot-side-aeration/124
Cheers
Scott

Oy :rolleyes: HSA is another one of those myths for the homebrewers. And heck, even many commercial breweries debate it's merits.

You'll find that many of us who use immersion chillers begin stirring the wort immediately as well as moving it up and down and creating quite a bit of o2 in there.

HSA, another bogeyman for homebrewers....another thing that made the leap from commercial breweries of tastless lager that has to have a long shelf life and absolutely no flavor (good or bad) otherwise.

Hot-side aeration can be demonstrated in medium and large commercial breweries because the brewing equipment is so big that splashing is a really dramatic event. Think of liquid flowing through a six-inch pipe at 400 gallons per minute and cascading 12 feet through the air before hitting the bottom of a tank.

But to the home brewer it's only a bogeyman....

I love the quote about the Basic Brewing experiments on Maltybrew.com

Hot-side aeration…myth?

I listened to a great podcast from Basic Brewing Radio yesterday on hot-side aeration. Everyone seems to debate whether or not this is a concern for homebrewing. The podcast covers an experiment done by some homebrewers in Austin where they try hard to cause HSA in a small batch.

I was never too concerned about HSA in my brewing and now I think I’m even less concerned.

THe wort is only cooled by what it is in direct contact with. If you don't stir, the wort nearest the wall of your pot or IC will get cold then will have to radiate out from that. Stirring moves hot wort around and speeds up the process considerably. There is no worry if you gently stir.

FYI, I'd get rid of that floating thermometer if I were you. I had one literally explode in my wort once, and there are many complaints of them breaking. The glass is way too thin. YMMV, but I'd hate to see you toss a batch because there's glass shards in it.

Ya? I'll def keep that in mind. I have a digital food probe that I used for the boil, but I think it is now broken... I had it in my fridge to make sure temp was right after I finished boil, and during wort cooling, and it was saying it was 80 degrees in it. I think the constant submersion in the boil may have messed it up to be about 20 degrees high -- hoping that my tea wasnt going at really 180 degrees instead of 160 :\

Ya? I'll def keep that in mind. I have a digital food probe that I used for the boil, but I think it is now broken... I had it in my fridge to make sure temp was right after I finished boil, and during wort cooling, and it was saying it was 80 degrees in it. I think the constant submersion in the boil may have messed it up to be about 20 degrees high -- hoping that my tea wasnt going at really 180 degrees instead of 160 :\

I've done the same to two food probes. I guess that they're not meant to be submerged for an hour in boiling liquid. I haven't seen any threads about this but I'd be curious to hear if it's a common problem. The two that I've done this to are not able to be recalibrated so I'm a little cheesed about it.

Back