How much corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing a hefeweizen at the moment and it's time to bottle. The problem is when I was copying the recipe from a book at the brew shop, I forgot to write down the amount of priming sugar to use and the amount of water. And they're closed till wednesday. What I do know is it's an extract recipe, no mash, 5 gallon batch, and the ending gravity is 1.011. Is this enough for you experts to tell me how much I should use? So far every time I've bottled ( all 3 times) it's called for 2 cups of sugar, but this is my first hefe and wasn't sure if things were different. Help , I want this beer carbed, it tastes fantastic.

Awesome site. Thanks a lot, you just made it possible for this brewer to have his beer in 7 days rather than 9. Which pretty much means I'm willing to take a bullet for you.

Edit: I've been using normal 22oz. bottles with no bombs yet and I'm pretty sure I added WAY too much sugar to my last batch with no bombs. Will these work though? Just got 'em..

amber%20ezy.jpg

Those calculators are nice- but I always just use 4 ounces of priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. I weigh my sugar, but I'm thinking it's around 2/3 cup. I've been happy with the carbonation. If you used 2 cups in five gallons (that's 3 times what I use), I'm surprised you haven't had problems with excessive carbonation. I suggest always weighing the priming sugar, since sugar can kind of pack down and you might get differing amounts each time.

Here's my VERY un-scientific method, for a 5.5 gallon batch:

3/4 cup (loose) for "normal" carbonation
3/4 cup (packed) for "high" carbonation

What I mean by loose, is I just stick my measuring cup in the corn sugar bag, and get out a roughly level scoop. For packed, I do the same thing but smack it on the counter a few times so that the sugar settles down. Keep adding a bit of sugar and settling it until you can't fit any more in the measuring cup.

If you've got a scale, Yooper's method is much more accurate...but if you don't my method has worked fairly well for me.

Thanks guys, and yes the last batch was retardedly carbed. Whoops, oh well it was a kit. Bottling is commencing as we speak.

Latest posts

Back