How many are brewing Lagers in 2019?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you brewing mainly in 2019?

• Total voters

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
With my 10th year of homebrewing behind me, I've decided to focus this year more on brewing lagers to enjoy and maybe some beers that my SWMBO would enjoy. With that style it definitely requires some scheduling with the available equipment and when you want to be able to enjoy the final product. Last year was lots of hoppy stuff.

I'm mainly planning on brewing double/triple batches (I have a few people w/o equipment that I am fostering into the hobby) of the following from Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book:

Stout
- Irish Stout - ready prior to St.Patty's day

Ales
- Classic Blonde
- Flanders Red - aging for a year

Lagers
- Helles - ready by the end of May
- Nothing But Vienna - have made before and am looking forward to brew again
- Killer Kolsch
- Dark American Lager

One of the things I like about this book is the addition of water treatment using RO water which I put in last year. Definitely made a difference in my brewing since I have well water as my water source.

What are you brewing this year?

Last edited:
I thought stouts were ales, generally.

I didn't vote because I don't plan on mainly anything, but I'll brew lagers until I can't, and then ales.
You might be right.. I guess I took liberties with what an Ale & Stout were in your case. Sorry precious.

Last edited:
Lagers
- Killer Kolsch
- Dark American Lager

I like your list and beer selection but just one little nitpick.. Kölsch is generally considered an ale. :)

Using lager yeast too? Ales can be lagered.

I have a Schwarzbier going now. Plenty of equipment to make more-for me its getting the time needed.

I think I’ll spend my time blending out all the sours I have and probably start selling off some equipment. I have way more than - oh wait. Never mind. .

If i continue brewing i will likely do about 80% lagers.

My pils is nearly perfected. Going to try a few tweaks to see if i can get it even better. I need to dial in some hopping and i plan to get it on point this year. I will then pursue perfecting my marzen. It's good but not where i want it just yet.

i'll sneak in the occasional oat stout and i always keep an epic IPA on tap.

I chose Ales ( Stouts are also ales ), but I will also brew Lagers this year. Actually, a first for me. I haven't been brewing for long, just started 2 years ago. I will start with a moderately hopped Pilsner ( soft water ), a Vienna Lager ( soft water ) and a moderately hopped Schwarzbier ( soft water ).

I've already done an ale and a lager this year. Probably my only lager, though. Man, I love Belgian ales!

I'm a gonna brew beer this year! Not gonna fuss too much about it. Not gonna play the latest trends. Gonna put wort in a fermenter. Gonna control temps. Gonna drink results. It has happily worked for 30+ years . . . It will keep working i am sure. If i stay alive long enough and my liver don't give out, i may even get to see **** come back around to brewing beer flavored beer! Like they did when i joined this forum!!! (not TOOOOOO MUCH offense intended - but WHY is everyone so hell bent on making beer taste like everything but beer? I mean If I want a glass of Orange juice, I will just have . . . .Well a glass of orange juice!!! I spent a decade learning how to make a clear beer now everyone wants it to come out like a glass of sludge! Strange days . . . But EVERYTHING comes full circle. I'll be here when you kids catch up!)

I have really made a push last year and this year to brew more lagers. Would say 40% of my brews were last year. This year I already have done a German Pils, two Schwarzbiers and a Helles, with a Czech Dark Lager coming up soon.

Since I have some great lager yeast saved up will do a few more before summer. I need to get me some "lager" hops in stock however. Love the ferment fridge and what I can accomplish with it. Hoping to get some Spalt hops as well as some more Tettnanger to do a true Czech lager, as I love the style and flavor.

I'll be mainly brewing ales, but have plans to do a few lagers. Last year, I did two lagers, both from Brewing Classic Styles. The Anderson Light came out good, but somehow I screwed up the Bohemian Pilsner. I think it might have got oxygenated when I transferred to a secondary. Won't be transferring to a secondary again.

Of the 12 brew days I have on the schedule for 2019, five are penciled in for lagers.

Most years I average 60-70% lagers out of 15-18 batches. German Pils, Helles, Dunkel, Kellerbier, and Vienna are staples in my brewhouse, each usually getting made twice a year or more.

I'm mostly doing ales. But I might try a lager for my next brew; it's almost cold enough in the corner of my basement utility room for it w/o temperature control. I should take advantage of that.

I certainly hope to brew at least a couple of lagers. But, will most likely do more ales because of the ease and shorter turn around time.

There will be some Stouts (one fermenting right now!) and others too.

More ales than lagers, but consistently brewing lagers. My next three brews are: 1) Trappist Single, 2) Helles, 3) American IPA

I brew seasonally. 3-4 lagers in December each year- Vienna, Marzen, Bock, sometimes Dopplebock. I did just do a Tropical Stout which is traditionally done with lager yeast. I'm trying to make something like 'Lion Stout' and call it 'My White Whale', because this is now my 5th or 6th attempt. Hopefully this one will turn out the way I want it.

I have one 10cf chest freezer for fermentation which I don't like to tie up for long periods lagering. Consequently I try to fill all my taps with ales then do a couple back to back lagers which are fermented and lagered at the same time, then back to ales.

Voted for Ales. Plan on brewing a bunch of smash APA and IPA this year. I'll mix in the occasional kit when the good sales are going. Marzen in the fall and a good stout or porter for the holidays.

I was looking at brewing an Abbey style ale for my next one, having never tried it before. Is this your first rodeo?

First Trappist Single, but I've brewed many Belgians including some Trappist styles. Recently did a Belgian Dark Strong, have brewed a Golden Strong many times. Have done a Dubbel a few times, also. Saison and Witbiers, too.

I'm using the Ardiennes yeast for the Trappist, and will save the big yeast cake and brew a Golden Strong with it, next. I'm planning on starting fermentation at 65F, but then raise it up as best I can, ending up in the upper 70s or 80, if possible.

My brew schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- Bohemian Pilsner (currently lagering)
- Russian Imperial Stout
- Austrian Lager
- Saison
- Amber Ale
- Pre Prohibition American Lager

I don't plan much. I'll probably repeat a few of my favorite recipes, brew a couple of holiday beers, and try something new, or very old. I have a lager on tap, and one in the basement. I'll certainly make a couple more.

Just brewed a German Pils last weekend. Next brewday in two weeks will be a Dunkel. Next after that will be a Vienna Lager, followed by a Helles.
Come to think of it, my brew plan, which goes out to August with 1-2 beers a month, doesn't have any ales in it until August.

Lagers, lagers, and more lagers!

Lagers so far in 2019

Double Decocted Helles
Single Decoction the/wheat Landbier
Double Decocted Chez Pils

Hopefully a Helles Spezial tomorrow with some Sauergut even.

Italian Pils and German Pils on the horizon.

Sorry for the tangent, but I have to ask. What the heck is an Italian Pils??

I am brewing at least 80% lagers nowadays. I just cant get enough. Recently made a Czech Lager, German pils, red x lager, rice lager, Vienna Lager, Maris Otter Lager and no boil lagers.

Sorry for the tangent, but I have to ask. What the heck is an Italian Pils??

Something similar to Tipopils the Italian Pilsner that has inspired a lot of new “pilsners” here in the US. It’s what Pivo from Firestone is modeled after.

Just a very dry, somewhat bitter German Pils that’s dry hopped with a noble variety or a somewhat noble variety.

Brewed a pils in January , brewed a Märzen rauchbier yesterday , I still need 1 or 2 more to do . I’ve canceled my lager only quest for the year because I bought that new Gose book so I have to try something out of it !

I might brew a helles next or a Vienna lager as I’ve never made one of those

With my 10th year of homebrewing behind me, I've decided to focus this year more on brewing lagers to enjoy and maybe some beers that my SWMBO would enjoy. With that style it definitely requires some scheduling with the available equipment and when you want to be able to enjoy the final product. Last year was lots of hoppy stuff.

I'm mainly planning on brewing double/triple batches (I have a few people w/o equipment that I am fostering into the hobby) of the following from Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book:

Stout
- Irish Stout - ready prior to St.Patty's day

Ales
- Classic Blonde
- Flanders Red - aging for a year

Lagers
- Killer Kolsch
- Dark American Lager

One of the things I like about this book is the addition of water treatment using RO water which I put in last year. Definitely made a difference in my brewing since I have well water as my water source.

What are you brewing this year?
After about 10 years myself, I began production of lagers this year with the construction of my fermentation chamber bringing in thermowell controlled temp control and a used freezer i got from craigs list. Now i am doubling fermenting capacity by doing one lager in the chamber and one ale in the house. Here is what is in the works.
Dry Coconut rye stout (b4 ferm chamber)
Czech pilsner
Row 2 hill 56 pale ale (indoor)
Helles Munich lager
Peanut butter cocoa nib milk porter

This should hold me over until april. I want to do a dopplebock at some point this year also.
fda221e9-05a3-44db-9071-a63e5d0ee166.jpeg

Latest posts

Back