How long will starter last in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
so I took 3 weeks to triple step up my starter for my ris, this is typical using a new batch of wlp007 and planned on brewing but stuff happens and brew day gets postponed. So it's been in my fridge cold crashing for two weeks now with sanitized foil covering the jug and I plan on brewing on Monday finally. I can see the starter beer has oxidized into a dark brown color, should I be worried of any infection taking hold while it's been in the fridge with only foil covering the opening. Just don't wanna pitch bad yeast, typically I make a starter and plan for cold crash a day before brewing then use the starter. I've never had one hang out in the fridge for so long ie two weeks with just foil on it for safe keeping. Still smelled ok the other day. I was supposed to brew this beer back in October #life. Ugh.

I've had this happen twice before. I brewed with one that was almost 2 weeks old without any ill effects. But the foil was firmly on the flask and not loose as it is during fermentation. The second time it was slightly over 3 weeks, and I decided to simply throw it away and make another starter from the yeast I saved from the first. Who knows, it may have been fine, but at that point I simply did not want to take any chances.

Latest posts

Back