How long to let yeast settle when washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
Just tried washing my yeast for the first time.

My process went as follows:

Put jars to be used in sanitising solution along with bottles. Then boil some water, fill jars, cover and allow to cool.

When cool enough throw that water in with trub/ yeast cake and swirl.

Sanitise a jug.

Pour a jugful of yeasty water into jug and cover.

So that's where we are now. I thought 20 mins was supposed to be the time to leave this solution now before harvesting the yeast into my jars, but 20 minutes went by and I can't see that any separation has happened other than maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch very clear at the top. I was expecting 3 layers...

Any input?

What type of yeast? I've used a similar procedure with American ale yeast & had good success. English ale yeast was much more difficult as it seemed to flocculate much quicker.

Sorry! Not paying attention!

It was the yeast from a Youngs Country Stout (dry yeast originally). I brewed the stout and thought I would try harvesting the yeast just for fun. My next brew will be a HME Youngs Bitter, and even though it's a lighter beer I plan to pitch my stout yeast to see what happens. If I get nothing then I can throw in the packet of dry yeast that came with it.

Did you put the containers in the fridge or just leave it at room temp? I put mine in the fridge and get them down to fridge (38 deg) temp. That may make a difference.

When I poured the yeast from the FV into the jug, I left it at room temp. Now that I have transferred that (or the top half) into jars I have put them in the fridge.

There is a thick cream-coloured layer on the bottom and "chocolate milk" above that...

I have no idea if that sounds right to you or not.

Back