How long is it ok to leave beer in corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincy_Ron

Reaction score
I've got 2 five gallon corny's that I primed and pressurized with about 15 to 20 psi back around May. I've been on a mission to lose some weight and I don't want the temptation of chilling these and drinking them quite yet. Anyway, they've been sitting in my basement for about 7 months now. Is this beer shot and should I just plan on discarding it? Can I keep it stored for any longer? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Depends on the beer. If it's a barleywine, you can go for a long, long time. If it's a hefe or an IPA, it may already be past it's prime. Most styles should be fine at this point.

I had a batch of IPA in a keg for well over a year. It was not spoiled at all, but had lost a lot of it's hop character.

My personal record is 6 years for a barleywine. Hoppy beers tend to fade, but sometimes you can dry hop them again.

your avatar is a big ole hamburger,and you want to loose weight...kinda funny.

Yeah, I need to come up with something a little better than that. :)

Thanks for the comments guys. One is an IPA along the lines of Sierra Nevada Pale ale and the other is a Honey Mead Ale. I think I'll throw both of these out on the patio to chill and at least pull off the yeast sediment and see how they taste.

Latest posts

Back