How long in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickfanelli

Reaction score
I am making a batch of wine at my cottage(because the water is awesome), but I won't have time to clarify and stabilize this weekend and it has been in the primary for 14 days. Should I rack it to leave until next week end or leave it in the primary? Thanks in advance.

14 days into ferment is way too early to be clarifying/stabilizing just about any batch known to man, Dragon's Blood excluded. What are you making?

Take a look at the contents and ask/answer these questions:
-do you have fruit/gross lees which need to be removed?
-is it still fermenting? (use hydrometer)
-if no longer fermenting, do you need to top it up?
-is it under airlock?

If you need to remove pulp/gross lees, do so. If the SG has dropped by 2/3, time to make sure it is under airlock.

Primary not fermenter. It has been under the airlock from the start. At the cottage it is too easy for ants and bugs to potentially find it.

The 'mist' kits will tell you what to do based on what the SG is. Any day ranges are just general guidelines for where your batch may be if you follow the instructions. As long as you do not have to do something to the must before it dries out (1.000 or less), then you can leave it be.

Do not get in habit of relying on activity, or lack of, in the airlock to indicate what is going on, your hydrometer is what you need to rely upon. Enjoy your wine once it is good to go.

Back