Sweet Potato Wine- Anyone Done It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D the Catastrophist

Reaction score
I had made a sweet potato casserole and that got me thinking about potentially doing a sweet potato wine. Sure enough, Jack Keller had a recipe for that (page 290 of pdf).
In the recipe he calls for peeling the potatoes, dicing and then boiling them before removing them- the potatoes never make it into the primary.
When I make my sweet potato casserole I cook in the over for 3-4 hrs at 325 to caramelize the sugars and reduce the sweet potatoes to mush. Is there any reason(other than mess) with doing the same thing for this wine? I would imagine that would impart an awesome flavor, almost bouchet-esque.
I suspect that like with Mango wine the particulate will take a long time to settle and I likely should plan for making a 1.5x size batch due to loss when trying to filter it.
On a related note, is pectic enzyme effective with starch or would something else be a better choice.

https://swguildpa.com/wp-content/up...ler-Complete-Requested-Recipes-Collection.pdf

I've read that sweet potatoes have diastatic power to convert their starches to sugar. Not sure what the sweet spot temp would be but theoretically, masserate, mash, lauter, boil if you wish... Then ferment...

When I make my sweet potato casserole I cook in the over for 3-4 hrs at 325 to caramelize the sugars and reduce the sweet potatoes to mush. Is there any reason(other than mess) with doing the same thing for this wine? I would imagine that would impart an awesome flavor, almost bouchet-esque.
Try a batch each way, boiling vs. roasting, to see which one you like better.

Latest posts

Back