How long does a 20lb co2 tank last for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Snagged a great deal on a 20lb co2 tank back in April ($10!! yes really!!); it went online on May 1st. Still going strong, and I brew at least 3 batches a month, all kegged, and force carbed. Curious to see how long a 20lb lasts for others. My little 5lb tank would last about 3 months; doing the math, that means I should get close to a year from the 20. Thoughts?

I get like about 9months out my 20lb tank. I have 4 taps and maybe 8 kegs at a time either serving or conditioning.

I weigh the tank and use the tare embossed on cylinder to figure out how much is left in the tank when I start getting up close 7 or 8 months.

My gauge starts loosing pressure about that same time. I know many say the main tank pressure gauge marking are useless but mind seem pretty close. When I drop out of the green I have about 3weeks left.

I get like about 9months out my 20lb tank. I have 4 taps and maybe 8 kegs at a time either serving or conditioning.

I weigh the tank and use the tare embossed on cylinder to figure out how much is left in the tank when I start getting up close 7 or 8 months.

My gauge starts loosing pressure about that same time. I know many say the main tank pressure gauge marking are useless but mind seem pretty close. When I drop out of the green I have about 3weeks left.
I only have two taps, but a three-way manifold with one of them dedicated as a force-carb line. That being said, I should get at least a year from that big guy. Exchange is only $25 at the local gas shop I use, best $10 I ever spent since I started brewing.

Until I swap a keg somehow create a gas leak that I don't notice and drain it. Honestly I have never used up a 20 from serving, carbing and, pushing various liquids about in the brewing/keging process. Seriously keep a spare CO2 cylinder. My current 20 is going on 9 months on my 7 tap setup and probably 10-12 kegs.

I had a leaky disconnect once, only leaked when I had crap sitting on top of it hoses and stuff. Happened near the end of tank so not too bad.

I have a smaller 10lb that I use for carbing and conditioning my lagers that one last well over a year. I treat that as back up if I was ever in a pinch.

I don't swap my tanks, there is a place close that fills while you wait. Bad thing is they need to be certified every now and then which costs but I at least know what has been done to the tank.

about a year carb'ing and pouring 12 a day...when i drank a sane amount, 2 years...

being that the tank pressure won't drop till liquid is gone, weighing it is good for checking for leaks....

Used to last me 6-8 months, but now I'm no longer force carbing, (am spunding) they seem to last closer to a year. That includes gas for closed transfers and keg purges.

My Last one was about 16 months for my 2-keg kegerator.

I probably carbonated and dispensed 12 to 14 kegs with that one. I also used it to push cleaning fluid through the line after each keg and to purge kegs after filling.

Micromatic says a 20 lb tank will dispense (not carbonate) 62 to 87 5-gallon kegs. Carbonating uses a lot more CO2 than dispensing.

https://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank

This post from homebrew finds says to expect to carbonate 1 to 2 kegs per pound of CO2.

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/09/kegging-co2-use-estimations-and-calculations.html

Last edited:
I dunno I filled mine 4 years ago and am waiting for it to kick :) In reality it depends on how many kegs you rip through and whether or not you use co2 to push things other than beer ( like sanitizer).

Slightly off topic, but I have a 5 lb tank and it only seems to last me a few brews. Going by the above statements, I'm thinking I might have a leak somewhere.

Slightly off topic, but I have a 5 lb tank and it only seems to last me a few brews. Going by the above statements, I'm thinking I might have a leak somewhere.

put it on a scale....only way to find if you have a leak, i'd say you do. my 20#'r lasts me a year pushing a keg every 4 days, unless i get a leak...which is why i keep it on a analog bathroom scale now, early detection saves the day....

(vasoline, keg lube silcone...is your friend, PRV's are leakers, old o-rings, etc...)

Last edited:
put it on a scale....only way to find if you have a leak, i'd say you do. my 20#'r lasts me a year pushing a keg every 4 days, unless i get a leak...which is why i keep it on a analog bathroom scale now, early detection saves the day....

(vasoline, keg lube silcone...is your friend, PRV's are leakers, old o-rings, etc...)

Hmm. And I don't go through a lot. Maybe a keg every 6-8 weeks and I usually only have two on tap. I don't use keg lube, so maybe I should start there. Also, I exchange my tank at the LHBS and while I have no reason to doubt that the tanks are filled, I might want to check just to rule this out.

Hmm. And I don't go through a lot. Maybe a keg every 6-8 weeks and I usually only have two on tap. I don't use keg lube, so maybe I should start there. Also, I exchange my tank at the LHBS and while I have no reason to doubt that the tanks are filled, I might want to check just to rule this out.

i prefer tanks with a TW weight on them also....i've gotten 20lb'rs only with 17-18 pounds before....i carb AND push ~100 kegs on a 20lb'er.....

edit: as far as lube, maybe start with o-rings, they should be replaced every year or so....

i prefer tanks with a TW weight on them also....i've gotten 20lb'rs only with 17-18 pounds before....i carb AND push ~100 kegs on a 20lb'er.....

edit: as far as lube, maybe start with o-rings, they should be replaced every year or so....

All the o-rings are new, so I can rule that out as the culprit. Based on your numbers, I should be getting 25 kegs but I'm nowhere near that. maybe 4 or 5. Instead of exchanging next time, I'll get it refilled myself. It costs me $5 more, but if it's actually full...

Tank washers replaced, but not the PRVs. They seem solid, but I'll do the suds test.

Funny thing, problem like yours is how i ended up with a 20#'r.....wasn't until i started vaselininig my posts, my tanks started going a year or two...

Definitely try the keg lube. It's messy, nasty, and takes forever to get off your hands (use gloves if you have them) but it works wonders and lasts a long time. If your cornies weren't brand new when you got them (and even if they were), they might have slight imperfections in the big opening on the top that will allow gas to leak slowly. Keg lube fills those right up and no co2 can get past it.

Having the 20lbs tank isn't like having 4x of the 5lbs tanks. The 5bl co2 tank refills are usually not full 5bls... you'd be lucky to get 4 lbs on a refill. As it gets near the top it gets harder to get co2 in there, they can bleed co2 gass out and try to get some more in, but eventually you reach an equilibrium and it's not with the co2 tank 100% full.

So in the 20lbs tank you'll get at least 15lbs, most likely 18-19 if you're lucky. So you should see 4-5x as much use compared to your current 5lbs tank.

Tank washers replaced, but not the PRVs. They seem solid, but I'll do the suds test.

Weigh it after a refill... you may not be getting a good fill. The tank will have a stamped weight on it, that's how much it weights empty. After a refill, weigh it and see how much you got... you should have at least 3-4lbs in there or else the shop is likely doing something wrong.

As far as carbing and pushing 25 kegs, that's a bit excessive for a 5lbs tank. I think you'd be lucky to get 10x kegs carbed and served out of a full 5lbs tank.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/co2-tank

Back