How long can I secondary for before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arienjaynes21

Reaction score
I'm curious to how long I can leave my brew in the secondary for before bottling and still achieve carbonation? I did primary for 9 days moved to warmer area for 3 days for d rest than transferred to secondary and dropped the temp down to 36-37 degrees it took 3 days to bring it down to that temp and it has been there for a total of 7 days now I'm wondering if I can bottle it after another week?

I'm curious to how long I can leave my brew in the secondary for before bottling and still achieve carbonation? I did primary for 9 days moved to warmer area for 3 days for d rest than transferred to secondary and dropped the temp down to 36-37 degrees it took 3 days to bring it down to that temp and it has been there for a total of 7 days now I'm wondering if I can bottle it after another week?

I've kept a lager near freezing (at 33 degrees) for 8 weeks and still had fine carbonation. Still, usually if I lager for more than 4 weeks I tend to add a pinch of ale yeast to ensure quick carbonation.

If you had a beer at lagering temperatures less than 2 months, I would just bottle it as usual.

OK thank you I was originally going to keg this batch have decided to bottle it to keep the keg available for something else I'm new to brewing and have been trying different kinds each time and I have not bottled before just used the two kegs what would be a good priming solution for about 20 litres originally a 23litre batch ?

OK thank you I was originally going to keg this batch have decided to bottle it to keep the keg available for something else I'm new to brewing and have been trying different kinds each time and I have not bottled before just used the two kegs what would be a good priming solution for about 20 litres originally a 23litre batch ?

I'm in the US, and stubbornly unable to think metric. But, 20L is about 5.25 US gallons. For that, I'd use 4.5 ounces (about 127 grams by weight) of priming sugar (dextrose) or 125 grams of table sugar (again, by weight).

Ok thank you it was about 5 gallons to start minus the bit I left behind with the sediment when I transferred to secondary

Awesome thanks everyone for all the help, I'm thinking I will bottle tomorrow or Friday and start on another batch ! Happy brewing !

the real question is...is it done fermenting? After the 9 days did you do two FG checks? If it was done and you were not adding anything to the brew no need to secondary. But since you moved it...same question did you check FG twice to determine that it was done?

Cold crashing was a good idea to help clear the bier...if your FG is reached then you can bottle at any time there after. You could leave it there for a month or so but why? Going on a trip? If not when it's done it's done and you can bottle when ever you have time.

It dropped from 1.010 to 1.008 during the d-rest and it hasn't moved from 1.008 I checked when I moved into secondary and a couple days afterwards to double check it was done fermenting also i only did the secondary on this batch to see the difference I don't mind the extra week or two of waiting for it to be a little bit better quality

Back