How long can beer sit in a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSC1060

Reaction score
Today is 8/18/2014 back on May/18/2014 I brewed two 5 gallon pale ales, soon there after one thing after another happened and I was unable to get to racking my beer. So I finally did it today, prior to filling up my clean kegs I tasted the beer to see if there were any obvious off flavors or smells, there weren't any. The beer remained at about 70 degrees the whole time, and the air locks never went dry I just wanted to hear what other fellow home brewers thought? I will post in a few days after conditioning is complete

I generally try not to let anything sit in primary more than 2 or 3 weeks, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't let batches sit that long in primary before. Like you, not noticeable off flavors, but that doesnt mean I'll make a habit of it.

I generally try not to let anything sit in primary more than 2 or 3 weeks, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't let batches sit that long in primary before. Like you, not noticeable off flavors, but that doesnt mean I'll make a habit of it.

I agree

Also means your outta beer for that long!! Worst part

Sent from myPhone

I did this once over an 8 month period starting in February. Same 10 gallon batch in two 5 gallon fermenters, one in the garage (50 degrees) with lager yeast, the other in the kitchen with ale yeast. The lager yeast batch tasted a little weird because it stayed in the garage from winter until summer and got hot. The Ale tasted pretty much fine.

David

Not sure of the limits but I've gone 2 months without issue.

Back