How fast can a batach ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vayank

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been making beer for years, but recently switched to all grain. Ivbe made 5-6 batches of all grain.

I recently brewed a batch of All-Grain Belgian Strong Golden. I used Wyeast 1388 (strong Belgian Ale yeast). OG was 1.079, 5 days later it was 1.01. Ive never had a batch completely ferment this fast.

Anyone else encounter this? is this more the norm for all grain?

Thanks

A week or less is possible, especially at higher fermentation temps. However, a FG of 1.01 is really low. I would wonder about a false gravity reading. Were you shooting for something that dry?

1.010 is totally acceptable for a BGSA FG. Most fermentations only take 4-5 days from start and wrap up; especially if you give them a good start with a healthy pitch of yeast.

Did you have temperature control in place? As drainbamage mentioned, elevated temps increase the fermentation rate (as well as throws off-flavors, if high enough).

What was your fermentation temp? Hotter temps can boost the growth of the yeast / speed of alcohol creation. 'Course that can also lead to off flavors. Also, don't forget your yeast needs time to clean up after itself.

Thanks all.

As far as dryness goes, i was shooting for dry, i mashed at 149 degress. I dont really keep track of my fermentaion temperature, but im assuming mid 70's.

I did use candi sugar, and forgot to reply to another question. i took readings with two different hydrometers and got the same result.

Back