How early can I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Need to brew an American ale and Oatmeal stout for a January wedding, how early can I brew these?
thanks, Steve

Kegging or bottling?

If kegging, you could go grain to glass in 3 weeks for the American ale, and a little longer for the stout.

If bottle-conditioning, add another 2-3 weeks for the AA and maybe another month or so for the stout.

Kegging or bottling?

If kegging, you could go grain to glass in 3 weeks for the American ale, and a little longer for the stout.

If bottle-conditioning, add another 2-3 weeks for the AA and maybe another month or so for the stout.
This. I'm brewing some lagers and IPA's for a wedding in September and bringing them in kegs. The lagers were furthest out, and tried to lager for as long as I could (5 and 3 months respectively). For the IPAs, the plan is as close to drinking day.. I mean the wedding. AKA, fresh is best to maximize hop aroma and flavor.

How much you brewing? Headcount? Serving method?

Need to brew an American ale and Oatmeal stout for a January wedding, how early can I brew these?
thanks, Steve

Last year or the year before would be fine for the stout. Same goes for the American ale but they do mature faster. I've kept several varieties of beer bottled for more than a year. Hop aromas disappear in less than 3 months so IPA and APA's should not be kept for very long. Hefeweizens tend to drop clear.

I recently opened bottle of Belgian Quad I made 5+ years ago. And I still have some of the lower ABV Patersbier I made at the same time to build up the yeast for the Quad. Both beers drink fine. The Quad hit its peak after about 18 months, but is still very good. Although its not recommended to keep beer around too long, it doesn't go bad if you are careful with your sanitation when you bottle/keg.

Back