How do you count yeast generations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
When people say someone is "first generation American," they mean that person's parents are from the Old Country. So when I make a batch using a packet/smack pack/tube, is the yeast that I wash from that batch and then use to make a starter the first generation, or the second?

So if you make a starter from the smack pack, that starter is the second generation and then when that starter is pitched into wort, the resulting yeast cake is the third generation? If I make a starter from that washed yeast, that is the fourth gen?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe starters count as a batch so to speak. Even though the yeast is fermenting sugars in the process, the fact that your extremely over pitching the yeast to create aerobic reproduction the fermentation portion is not as taxing to the yeast and therefore wouldn't count as a new generation.

Either way, 5 generations is just a rule of thumb. With proper sanitation and very yeast nourishing wort, the "x # of generations" rule kind of goes out the window.

Disclaimer: I don't save/wash my yeast often even though I exclusively use conicals, but I've read Yeast front to back several times.

Back