How can I save wine with final SG too high / failed fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinceit

Reaction score
I started a batch of fig wine and accidentally added more sugar than the recipe (https://eckraus.com/content/figwine.pdf) called for. See my log below. After 1.5 months of “fermentation”, the solution is clear, the airlock makes an occasional bubble once in a few hours, but the SG is 1.030. It seems like the fermentation has failed. I feel really sorry for all the work and ingredients :( Is there anything I can do to save this batch?

The Log

Sep 17, 2019
Added to primary fermenter:
- 18 lbs. of chopped fresh figs
- 2 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient
- 1⁄2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
- 4 tbsp. Acid Blend
- 1⁄2 tsp. Wine Tannin
- 5 crushed Campden Tablets
- MISTAKENLY added 10 lbs. of sugar instead of 9 lbs.
- Added water to equal the batch to 5 gallons

Sep 18, 2019
Added to primary fermenter:
- 1 Packet of Wine Yeast: K1V-1116

Oct 2, 2019
Removed fig must. Siphoned into a carboy. Specific Gravity: 1.040. There was little to no frothing activity in the next couple of weeks

Nov 17, 2019.
Specific Gravity: 1.030

What was the OG? (So an ABV can be calc'd)

Have you tasted it? Are u looking for something dry?

I recorded SG only after I removed fig must (Oct 2, 2019) and it was 1.040.

It tastes quite sour, carbonated, and sweet. The original recipe I used was for a dry wine.

From what you posted above, it is fermenting. Slowly but it's fermenting.

With the gravity of 1.040 there is still a bit of fermentables in there.

For curiosity:
What type of sugar did you use?
What is the temperature of the wine?

I have never... ever thrown out a batch of wine. You can almost always save it.

I would first try to repitch yeast. Sometimes, you just get a bad packet. I would try repitching another K1V-116 or a EC-1118. It has gone to town on stuck fermentations for me in the past.

The next thing I would try is dilution. I hate doing it because it will weaken the flavors but it does drop down the fermentable load allowing the yeast to work better.

I forgot to mention... When you get your SG readings, you want to get the readings that will help you tell the story of how fermentation is going.

Original Gravity (OG)- Take this reading just after you pitch the yeast
Final Gravity (FG)- This is the reading when you have verified that fermentation has stopped. Usually verified by 2-4 SG readings that stay constant.

We can help you out alot more if we had the OG so we could see how much fermentation has taken place.

Back