How Big of a Starter for Anchor Steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK I am getting ready to do an Anchor Steam Clone. Being a Hybred beer seems to create some question as to starter size needed. I'll use WLP-810 yeast, which is a Lager Yeast. But will ferment at Ale Temps. I'm thinking 66* F, to 70* F, not locked into the temp yet.

So I checked MrMalty and for an 11 gallon Ale at 1.052 need 400 Billion cells. Beersmith 2 Yeast Starter calls for 800 Billion cells. So obviously BSmith is basing the starter on the fact that the Yeast is a Lager Yeast.

So what do I want for a starter for a Lager Yeast fermented at Ale temps?

I've made it twice and used a 2L Wyeast starter both times for 5 Gal batches and both turned out awesome. If you have a stir plate you'll get enough yeast cells, I plugged in 2L starter in BSmith for 11 Gal batch and it was roughly 800 bil cells. I fermented between 64 to 66 degrees and they came out very tasty and clear.

Ditto the 2L Wyeast for 5-6 gal...made a great California Common....due for another one soon....2nd on the list.

Back