Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you guys mention "Hornindal strain". Isn't Hornindal kveik 8 different strains plus bacterial cultures? I will brew tomorrow using Hornindal and im quite afraid of ruining my brewing equipment using a culture containing bacteria.

I sourced the strain from Omega Yeast orginally but that is an isolate from the original that excludes the bacteria, so your yeast is much more complex and wild.

I sourced the strain from Omega Yeast orginally but that is an isolate from the original that excludes the bacteria, so your yeast is much more complex and wild.
That might not be a good thing though as getting consistently similar brews will be super hard 😂 Will be interesting seeing how flavours change from brew to brew.

That might not be a good thing though as getting consistently similar brews will be super hard 😂 Will be interesting seeing how flavours change from brew to brew.
You'll get some milky/caramel notes from the bacteria

I'm not super impressed. I pitched a day and a half ago and I'm down 18 points. Which is not bad, but I've seen this kind of action from S04. I expected more from the mythical Hornindal beast that boasts 24 hour and done fermentations.

I am using the Omega blend. I oxygenated by pouring a great distance(couple feet) from my kettle to my fermenter(lots of foam). I gave it a double dose of nutrient. However, I am pressure fermenting at 30PSI and I did underpitch.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OvtDrFp9VVfPMETVjhF1wWKpFc0/edit?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
However, I am pressure fermenting at 30PSI

That may be the issue - kveik is a true farmhouse yeast and although Omega separated this yeast out from the original, it still seems to work best in the conditions it has been selected for over generations (of brewers).

It would be interesting to see the same exact beer fermented out without the pressure.

This weekend, I might do my Tripel recipe with Hornindal. Being that I'll scream when I pitch the yeast, it only seems fitting that I bruise A cucumber and toss it in the boil for a minute or two. The Screaming Viking!

That may be the issue - kveik is a true farmhouse yeast and although Omega separated this yeast out from the original, it still seems to work best in the conditions it has been selected for over generations (of brewers).

It would be interesting to see the same exact beer fermented out without the pressure.
Just for anybody curious, Hornindal ferments just fine under 30psi as long as it is kept hot. Done it several times, held at 30C+ you're all good. Make sure your wort is nutrient rich, Kveik are hungry for FAN.

Make sure your wort is nutrient rich, Kveik are hungry for FAN.

So what happens if you forget the nutrient? I might have forgot and I can't quite describe the off flavor... I'm going to let it sit for a couple months and see if it goes away.

A friend of mine brewed a NE pale with Omega Hornindal. First 2 weeks it looked like a NE beer, hazy and juicy, and the yeast seemed to give a citrusy, almost winey flavour to the beer. After that, it seemed to change noticeably. It dropped clear and lost its NE characteristics - ended almost like a Pilsner.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

A friend of mine brewed a NE pale with Omega Hornindal. First 2 weeks it looked like a NE beer, hazy and juicy, and the yeast seemed to give a citrusy, almost winey flavour to the beer. After that, it seemed to change noticeably. It dropped clear and lost its NE characteristics - ended almost like a Pilsner.

Kviek strains do drop clearer than most but shouldn’t go from NEIPA to Pilsner is due to an issue with practice and not creating stable haze.

is there any chance he moved his keg around?

https://omegayeast.com/news/neipa-and-kveik
Maybe to little wheat/oats in combination with Hornindal Kveik.

Kviek strains do drop clearer than most but shouldn’t go from NEIPA to Pilsner is due to an issue with practice and not creating stable haze.

is there any chance he moved his keg around?

Cheers for answering.

He moved the keg in to kegarator but not any more than for his other beers. He’s not had this issue with haze stability before. It’s his first time using Hornindal - any reason you think would it be more of an issue with a Kveik beer?

Cheers for answering.

He moved the keg in to kegarator but not any more than for his other beers. He’s not had this issue with haze stability before. It’s his first time using Hornindal - any reason you think would it be more of an issue with a Kveik beer?
Without knowing his process it’s hard to say. Hornindal flocs really well to start. Fermentation binds polyphenols and protiens together creating molecules with more molecular weight. If he used flaked oats, they contain longer protein chains so they are already have more molecular weight than their malted counter part. If you friend dryhops during fermentation, even more polyphenol will bind to proteins. If he dryhopped post Fermentation and warm 65*f+ He would have experienced hopcreep which would cause the same phenomenon. Protiens have a positive attraction to one another so the larger the chains are, the more they attract each other and then they drop out of suspension causing clearing.

so it’s not necessarily a Kviek issue but without the proper process for stable haze; clear wort into the fermenter, majority dryhoping after fermentation,crashing yeast out of suspension prior to dryhoping,and dryhoping in the low 50s, Kviek can increase the clearing.

here are 2 of my NEIPAS brewed for stable haze. One used a24 yeast and the other uses Hornindal. You’ll see the Kviek one is less hazy but nowhere near clear.

Hornindal
A1A2F5A3-4F48-4E28-AE2C-17DB453223C6.jpeg

a24
72AFCCC9-0DA3-497A-A3DB-7CAD507D27A7.jpeg

Wow, this happened to a beer (IPA) I bottled (from a keg) for a competition -- using Hornindal. I did an experiment. I let one sit at room temp for 3 weeks and the other in the fridge. The beer that was at room temp lost all hop characteristics and I swear tasted like a lager. So weird. The one refrigerated was still good. The beer ended up winning silver so I am guessing they stored the beers cold.

Wow, this happened to a beer (IPA) I bottled (from a keg) for a competition -- using Hornindal. I did an experiment. I let one sit at room temp for 3 weeks and the other in the fridge. The beer that was at room temp lost all hop characteristics and I swear tasted like a lager. So weird. The one refrigerated was still good. The beer ended up winning silver so I am guessing they stored the beers cold.
Your case Sounds like oxidation

Also, has anyone had a bad experience with this yeast in the past month? I dumped 3 batches so far. I made a thread about it in 'general forum section'. Another poster said he has been dumping batches as well using Hornindal.

It had no oxidation off flavor tho. Actually tasted pretty good lol.
Dull hop character in aroma and flavor is the initial issues with oxidation. One misconception on HBT is that oxidation has to be as extreme as browning color and cardboard/sherry taste. But the most common issue is when people say, I dryhoped with 6+ oz and there’s not the hop pop I was looking for

the bottle kept warm was effected first as temperature is a catalyst for it.

Dull hop character in aroma and flavor is the initial issues with oxidation. One misconception on HBT that oxidation has to be as extreme as browning color and cardboard/sherry taste.

the bottle kept warm was effected first as temperature is a catalyst for it.

Thanks. It was also interesting how it tasted like a lager. Almost like a Munich Helles. Like it was brewed using lager yeast.

I generally don’t use kveik because it’s kinda a cheat, but since it’s 90+ in Houston for about 5 months a year, I can use it when my fermentation chambers are full of pilsners.

I’ve used Hornindal for a kettle sour and I swear you would’ve thought it was fruited with peaches and apricots when fermentation was done.

I have it currently fermenting a tropical/export stout, hoping to coax some dried fruit notes out of the crystal malt.

Has anyone tried Hornindal in a west coast style IPA? Scanned through but didn’t see anything.

Has anyone tried Hornindal in a west coast style IPA? Scanned through but didn’t see anything.
No reason it wouldn’t work but for west coast ipas you’re really looking for a cleaner fermentation profile

Dry?
Yeast_Bry-97-Z.jpg

Or wet?
liquid-yeast-wyeast-1217-pc-west-coast-ipa-1_1024x1024.jpg

Either is going to be so much better. I'd go for Wyeast's 1217, because it's stored in my yeast collection and seems to do a great job whenever I let it out to play WCIPA.

So I am on a travel assignment for my wife’s work, and out of state. (I work from home). I brought minimal brewing equipment and don’t have temperature control. That’s the reason for Kveik this time around.

Yes with west coast I’m thinking cleaner would be best. I’ve heard that Lutra lessens hop character so I went with Hornindal. Either way, this one is in the fermenter so I’ll report back 🤣

So I am on a travel assignment for my wife’s work, and out of state. (I work from home). I brought minimal brewing equipment and don’t have temperature control. That’s the reason for Kveik this time around.

Yes with west coast I’m thinking cleaner would be best. I’ve heard that Lutra lessens hop character so I went with Hornindal. Either way, this one is in the fermenter so I’ll report back 🤣
There are a few clean kviek strains

My ambient is 75* so that wouldn’t work for me right now. I forgot about Voss. Should have considered that one too. Too late for me anyways, but was hoping someone maybe had experience with a west coast. I just hope it doesn’t clash.

7 lb Pilsner
8 oz white wheat
4 oz victory

.5 oz centennial @ 60
.5 oz centennial @ 30
1 oz cascade @ 10

And I will dry hop with Citra once fermentation is done.

OG 1.068
FG 1.012
IBU 67

Latest posts

Back