Hops IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdusters

Reaction score
I have been using the tastybrew.com calculator but I don't think it takes into consideration that I won't be boiling the LME with the hops.

The hops are only going to be boiled with the steepings of a 1/2 lb of Carapils since I am adding the 7 lb of LME post-boil. How much hops would I need to use and for how long would I have to boil them in order to get an IBU of 30?

The hops are 6.2% AA Hallertauer, by the way, and it's going to be a 2 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch.

What you're boiling doesn't matter. The hops will isomerize the same way. I'm sure the calculator gave you the right amounts.

I have been using the tastybrew.com calculator but I don't think it takes into consideration that I won't be boiling the LME with the hops.

The hops are only going to be boiled with the steepings of a 1/2 lb of Carapils since I am adding the 7 lb of LME post-boil. How much hops would I need to use and for how long would I have to boil them in order to get an IBU of 30?

The hops are 6.2% AA Hallertauer, by the way, and it's going to be a 2 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch.

I'd use 2.5 ounces of hallertauer- that should get you close to 30 IBUs. I'd do a typical 60 minute boil.

Thanks for the replies. My extract beers always finish rather sweet as it is so I'm trying to avoid caramelization by skipping even a late extract addition.

Thanks for the replies. My extract beers always finish rather sweet as it is so I'm trying to avoid caramelization by skipping even a late extract addition.

It's still going to turn out sweet. Extract beers always finish a little higher than they should, so it's hard to get rid of the sweetness, regardless of boil times. I suggest adding some highly fermentable sugars like honey or corn sugar in order to dry your beer out a little more.

It's still going to turn out sweet. Extract beers always finish a little higher than they should, so it's hard to get rid of the sweetness, regardless of boil times. I suggest adding some highly fermentable sugars like honey or corn sugar in order to dry your beer out a little more.

Not always. I've made some wonderful extract beers- especially with adding the extract late at flame out. I think it can be fine, unless someone is making a beer that should finish very very dry, like a saison or something like that.

Latest posts

Back