Hops help for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janitorjerm

Reaction score
My brother and I are planning on brewing an IPA on 4/04. We are planning on doing a 5 gallon batch. So far I have 13lbs of 2-row, .5lb of amber malt, and some Safale-05. We made a large (for us) hop purchase a while back so we were hoping to use them for this beer. So finally, the question is... What, and when? Here's what we have.

Sterling (Leaf) - 2oz - 6.7% AA
Cascade (Leaf) - 2oz - 7.1% AA
Nugget (Leaf) - 2oz - 13.1% AA
Mount Hood (Leaf) - 2oz - 4.4% AA
Liberty (Pellet) - 2oz - 3% AA
Centennial (Pellet) - 2oz - 8.7% AA
Hallertau (Pellet) - 2oz - 6.4% AA
Willamette (Pellet) - 2oz - 4.8% AA
Czech Saaz (Pellet) - 2oz - 5.5% AA
Northern Brewer (Pellet) - 2oz - 8.7%

I like hoppy beers so all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

You've got some tasty stuff in there. I love the Willamette flavor, and a Saaz dry hop is delicious.

There are tons of awesome IPA recipes on here...I'd recommend reading a bunch of them, particularly the tasting notes, see if anything sounds appealing to you, and tailor your recipe to match. You have tons of possibilities, almost all would be great.

Here is a combo I use and like:

Nugget at 60 minutes
Cascade/Centennial at 15 minutes (use either hops or a 50/50 mix)
Cascade/Centennial at 5-0 minutes (use either hops or a 50/50 mix)
Saaz Dry hop

The Cascade and Centennial give it a citrus flavor while the Saaz tops it off with a pleasant spiciness. Adjust the amounts to tweak IBU.

1 oz nugget 60 minutes (bittering) (or northern brewer 1.5 oz)

.75 oz centennial 15 minutes
.75 oz cascade 10 minutes
.75 oz centennial 5 minutes
.75 oz cascade flame out

Dryhop with remaining 1 oz centennial/cascade (although it's not quite enough).

I don't really like any of the other hops for an American IPA.

1 oz nugget 60 minutes (bittering) (or northern brewer 1.5 oz)

.75 oz centennial 15 minutes
.75 oz cascade 10 minutes
.75 oz centennial 5 minutes
.75 oz cascade flame out

Dryhop with remaining 1 oz centennial/cascade (although it's not quite enough).

I don't really like any of the other hops for an American IPA.

How much leaf cascade would you recommend dry hopping on?

I'm shooting for around 60-70 IBU

I think you get your 60-70 before you dry hop. Dry hopping doesn't add much IBUs. Maybe?

No, dryhopping won't contribute to IBUs.

I like to get about 40 IBUs from the bittering addition in an IPA, assuming the OG is 1.065 or so, and the rest from hopping at 15, 10, and 5 minutes.

Good deal. I think I got it set now. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

My suggestion would be to use something like Beer Calculus (free and online, just google it), and get only about 20 IBUs from a 60 minute addition of Nugget. Then use a combination of Willamette, Cascade, and Centennial to get between 50 and 60 total IBUs from 10, 5, and 1 minute additions. This is kind of like hop bursting but you are still getting some IBUs from a 60 minute addition. I've been doing this lately and will never go back.

I also agree that most of those hops aren't perfectly appropriate for an American IPA but I think Willamette (derived from Fuggles which is English) adds some really nice earthyness and also accentuates the flavors of Cascade and Centennial.

Back