Hops for a rhubarb beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncruliar

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a NEIPA style beer with a rhubarb addition. Just wondering if anyone would like to make some hop reccommendations.

Assuming that you want the rhubarb flavor to be the feature of this beer, I'd recommend you use only a neutral bittering hop to give the beer the amount of bittering you want or a little less as I think the rhubarb will be a little bitter by itself. I've used Nugget and Magnum but there are a number of others. Nugget and Magnum are high alpha acid hops which means it takes only a small amount to give the bittering. Others with lower alpha acid might be a better choice. I don't know that turning it into an NEIPA would work out to get the rhubarb flavor.

In my Rhubarb Rye Ale I ended up using

23.5 IBUs of CTZ @60
4.2 IBUs of Fuggles @30
2.0 IBUs of Fuggles @10

with 3lbs of chopped/frozen/thawed rhubarb... And I gotta say, you really only notice the rhubarb...

So I agree with @RM-MN, use a High AA, neutral bittering hop to get your IBUs, then let the rhubarb do it's thing...

Back