Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabass07

Reaction score
Ordered 6lb of hops from them. Total was around $75 shipped. Since they are in WA, I get next day delivery with fed ex! Fn amazing! $11/lb is way better than $1.80 - $2.50/oz at the LHBS. I definitely recommend these guys!

The hops are cheaper at your local supplier- are the hops better quality from Hops direct?
$12.50 a pound from hops direct
$11.52 from local shop

Junaleefarm said:
The hops are cheaper at your local supplier- are the hops better quality from Hops direct?
$11.52 from local shop

Try again.

$11.52 from local shop

16oz in a lb. So even the cheapest pellet hops from the LHBS are $28.80/lb. I wouldn't be surprised if hopsdirect was one of my LHBS's sources since it's local. So it's probably the same hops or at least the same quality. The only thing is that most of the LHBS hops are 2010 crop whereas the ones I got from hops direct are 2011 crop.

The other day my nearest shop sold me hops for $2.50/ oz I believe. Most varieties looked old and dry.

Saw this advertised here yesterday. Seems the best prices I've seen for small quantities. Anybody know the quality?
Farmhouse Brewing Supply

My most local shop sells $4/ounce even for domestics like cascade. I have no idea how fresh they are. Some of the other local shops are in the $2/oz range but nothing beats those sweet hopsdirect prices.

The other day my nearest shop sold me hops for $2.50/ oz I believe. Most varieties looked old and dry.

Saw this advertised here yesterday. Seems the best prices I've seen for small quantities. Anybody know the quality?
Farmhouse Brewing Supply

The prices are definitely good. I haven't used them, but I've heard good things about them and they are a vendor here. If they were local to me, I'd definitely use them.

I read the post wrong- I thought he meant $1.80 for 2.5 oz of hops. I should probably lay off the homebrew.

Farmhouse Brewing Supply

For those that haven't tried Farmhouse Brew Supplies. They are a great vendor. Cheap hops and good service. I just wish they did free shipping over a $100 like some other vendors. But at their prices you can't blame them.

For those that haven't tried Farmhouse Brew Supplies. They are a great vendor. Cheap hops and good service. I just wish they did free shipping over a $100 like some other vendors. But at their prices you can't blame them.

2nded

FBS is great...I've ordered from them a few times and have had nothing but good experience.

Received my hops direct order today. All 6 1lb bags were actually 1.3lbs. Holy hell they are great! Almost 2 extra pounds!

seabass07 said:
Received my hops direct order today. All 6 1lb bags were actually 1.3lbs. Holy hell they are great! Almost 2 extra pounds!

Yeah, last time I ordered 6lbs and got 9...

I'm still using my order from last year. I love my lhbs but the price outweighs my small amount if guilt.

I think you guys have convinced me.. most likely going to place an order with Hopsdirect very shortly. Just planning out my recipes :)

I buy from either Farmhouse or Label Peelers, depending on a LP sale. Farmhouse is so cheap that even though their shipping is more expensive, it usually works out cheaper to go with them. I also like how they package their hops at farmhouse. LP just sends bags of hops, sometimes not vacuumed well.

Thanks for the info and feedback guys. My LHBS has a poor selection of hops and at $3 an OZ they are in pretty poor shap as well. Just ordered 4lbs from hops direct and im stoked!:mug:

The dozen shops around me (within 60 miles there are about 18 HBS) all sell hops for about 4.00 oz. I ordered 20 pounds from hop union or hops direct depending on availability of varieties for about .75-1.00 an ounce. The thing that bugs me about hops direct is I can only get one pound of perle hops per order. I use a half a pound in my pale ale alone.

Got my order in today! 4 18oz bags. $50 shipped to Alaska! I am sooooooooooo glad I found these guys.

I have ordered from Hopdirect in the past and I don't think I will order from them again. Comparing a retailer to a wholesaler is not a good comparison. I bought from BCrosby Hop farm in the past and I got my hops for cheaper with them. I find that Hopsdirect is a little expensive on the shipping. I have bought from Label Peelers when they had Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo at a good price and liked that the shipping was super cheap. I ordered like 24 pounds and paid less than .75 a pound in shipping. I paid about $5 per lb in shipping charges from Hopsdirect.

Kudos to a great vendor!

I did a search on this forum under the words "Hops Direct" and got no direct connection except to Yakima Valley Hops. Same company? Don't know.

I placed an order with them last weekend and recieved it today (Thursday). I didn't hear from them Monday so sent an email asking for some response to my order. Nothing. Called Tuesday to inquire about whether they received my payment OK and when I might expect shipment. The lady on the phone was really nice. Said they had just been slammed with orders and my order would ship the following day if not that afternoon. Got confirmation via email that evening that the order shipped and recieved it in good order today.

Now here is the interesting part. I ordered 3 varieties of pelleted hops at 1 lb. each. The box I got weighed well over 4 lbs. I put each of the three packets on a very accurate food scale and found that every one pound package acutally weighed about 1.25 lbs!

For a good "in my fridge" supply of frequently used hops these people just became my "go-to" supplier!

i've used hopsdirect for years exclusively. they've done me right every time. last time i ordered 7 lbs ( willamette, super galena, magnum, chinook, cascade, bravo, and belma ). total cost with shipping $82. total weight is about 8.5 lbs for a 7 lb order

Hops Direct is a real solid company. i have bought a lot of hops from them and am always impressed with the quality. The shipping can somtimes be a bit much, but if you buy a couple pounds at a time it more than pays for itself.

I just got some rhizomes from them! I ordered two rhizomes for each type and they sent two beefy ones and an extra thinner one just for the heck of it. That was in each type I ordered. Very cool. Their pounds of hops often weigh over a pound.

Hops Direct is a real solid company... Their pounds of hops often weigh over a pound.

I run a small business myself and I have a lot of respect for the people who are running this company. They could pay a little closer attention to incoming emails and answer them more promptly, but heck, they have work to do and the stuff sitting on the 'puter may need to sit for a bit while they package up orders! I like the idea that I can get a pound or better of top quality hops for 15 to 20 bucks including shipping. Heck, I'm getting a deal and I'm not about to dig them for a buck or two for shipping!

I've benn using Hops Direct for the past year (ordered 15 lbs total) and highly recommend them. Fresh hops at a great price (perfect together).

I ordered a lb of hops from hops direct and the shipping was expensive, but the package that I received was well over the 1lb I ordered.

I ordered a lb of hops from hops direct and the shipping was expensive, but the package that I received was well over the 1lb I ordered.

When you only order a pound at a time the shipping can get a little steep. The trick is to order a pound each of several varieties that you use a lot. The shipping cost per ounce goes way down as the volume of the order goes up.

I needed to stock up on the fruity hops. Hops Direct has Citra on sale at $18/lb. They had a bunch of whole leaf pounds for $5/ea too. I loaded up, went through the checkout, to find out the cheapest shipping was $63 for 5 lb of hops!!!! So I went back to YVH and gladly paid the higher Citra price for $13.75 fedex shipping.

Is this, uh, common with them? I've never ordered from them before.

Back