Hopping rates for juicy kettle sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at doing a version of a juicy kettle sour, inspired by @sjfischr in this thread...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-145#post-8201608

I got some info from him as far as how he thought it was done and I tweaked it a bit. I'm looking for thoughts, feedback, opinions, whatever you got. I want this to be like how Bluejacket describes their version: "A brightly quenching, floral & juicy dry-hopped sour blond ale; kettle soured with our house Lactobacillus, then hopped & dry-hopped Citra, Azacca, and Simcoe"

SPECIFICATIONS:
OG 1.055
FG 1.016
IBU's 12.5 from 60 min addition
SRM 6.3 on Bru'n Water, 4.9 on Brewers Friend
ABV 5.19%

7.5 gallons pre boil
6.0 gallons post boil

GRAIN BILL:
35% 2 Row
35% Maris Otter
12.2% White Wheat
5.93% Flaked Oats
5.93% Munich I
5.94% Torrified Wheat

60 minute mash @155*F

KETTLE SOURING:
Bootleg Biology Sour Weapon L: Pitch at 95-98*F, sour until pH is ~3.2

HOPS:
**60 Min. = 1.0oz Hallertau Tradition or Mittlefruh
**Flame Out = 1oz. each of Citra/Azacca/Simcoe
**Chill to 150*F or below and add 1oz. each of Citra/Azacca/Simcoe. 20 min whirlpool
**Chill to 67-68*F

**Dry Hop - At high krausen (day 2):
1.75 oz. Citra
1.5 oz. Azacca
.75 oz. Simcoe

Day 12-14 - Jump from primary carboy to serving keg.

FERMENTATION
Yeast - Wyeast 1318

Questions:
1. Is the hopping rates appropriate for a dry hopped kettle sour in which the goal is as stated above - bright, quenching, floral and juicy...? I almost went NEIPA hopping rates on this, just left out the second dry hop I usually do.
2. Will 1318 stand up to the acidity at a pH of 3.2? If not, is there another yeast that I should use in its place?

Capture.JPG

Looking at doing a version of a juicy kettle sour, inspired by @sjfischr in this thread...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-145#post-8201608

I got some info from him as far as how he thought it was done and I tweaked it a bit. I'm looking for thoughts, feedback, opinions, whatever you got. I want this to be like how Bluejacket describes their version: "A brightly quenching, floral & juicy dry-hopped sour blond ale; kettle soured with our house Lactobacillus, then hopped & dry-hopped Citra, Azacca, and Simcoe"

SPECIFICATIONS:
OG 1.055
FG 1.016
IBU's 12.5 from 60 min addition
SRM 6.3 on Bru'n Water, 4.9 on Brewers Friend
ABV 5.19%

7.5 gallons pre boil
6.0 gallons post boil

GRAIN BILL:
35% 2 Row
35% Maris Otter
12.2% White Wheat
5.93% Flaked Oats
5.93% Munich I
5.94% Torrified Wheat

60 minute mash @155*F

KETTLE SOURING:
Bootleg Biology Sour Weapon L: Pitch at 95-98*F, sour until pH is ~3.2

HOPS:
**60 Min. = 1.0oz Hallertau Tradition or Mittlefruh
**Flame Out = 1oz. each of Citra/Azacca/Simcoe
**Chill to 150*F or below and add 1oz. each of Citra/Azacca/Simcoe. 20 min whirlpool
**Chill to 67-68*F

**Dry Hop - At high krausen (day 2):
1.75 oz. Citra
1.5 oz. Azacca
.75 oz. Simcoe

Day 12-14 - Jump from primary carboy to serving keg.

FERMENTATION
Yeast - Wyeast 1318

Questions:
1. Is the hopping rates appropriate for a dry hopped kettle sour in which the goal is as stated above - bright, quenching, floral and juicy...? I almost went NEIPA hopping rates on this, just left out the second dry hop I usually do.
2. Will 1318 stand up to the acidity at a pH of 3.2? If not, is there another yeast that I should use in its place?

View attachment 555147

I don’t know the brewers that well anymore, but given the principles that we as a group have employed in the NEIPA thread, it should work just fine.

This Sour Weapon ingredient—I’m checking it out now:

At 98F, it’s capable of achieving a pH of 3.3 within 18 hours. At 84F, it can reach a pH of 3.5 within 24 hours. With more time, a terminal ph of 3.1 may be reached.

That’s unbelievable!
To be sure, speed on preserving volatile hop compounds is key. This could be essential for such a heavy hopping rate.

When do you plan to brew?

I don’t know the brewers that well anymore, but given the principles that we as a group have employed in the NEIPA thread, it should work just fine.

This Sour Weapon ingredient—I’m checking it out now:

That’s unbelievable!
To be sure, speed on preserving volatile hop compounds is key. This could be essential for such a heavy hopping rate.

When do you plan to brew?

Not 100% Sure but thinking maybe next weekend or so. Pretty excited about this one.

I haven't yet. It's next on my list. Had to get an easy St Pattys Day pale ale going for the mother in law and this one is next. Within the next 3 weeks I'll be doing this one. I'll post back when I do.

Latest posts

Back