Hopping a light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethmutt

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a light beer but I'd like it to have the hop burst of an IPA. Is it possible or will it turn too bitter without the background maltiness of a bigger beer? Any suggestions on what kind to use for dry hopping?

Extract. Was leaning towards a light ale but whichever one would hold up better to the hops. Thanks for the recipe!!! I'll give it a shot :)

Brew a California common and use some fruity hops like citra and Amarillo for flame out and dry hop. That's what I do for my "light" IPA

The dry hops wont make it bitter. But if you add a good amount of hops to the boil I would do them at flame out. You can account for the small amount of bitterness gained by the flam out hops by reducing the hops at the beginning of the boil. I have read about people only getting there first ~4 IBU's from the 60 min hops and adding a ton of whirlpool hops. This is just to make the aroma pop out of the glass. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime out. I have only used this method once and it turned out really well.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips! Will try saving the majority of the hops for flameout and dry hop.

Back